Schwinn Computer Question

GoldenMotor.com

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Well; I've brought my bike in for winter & I'm doing a BUNCH of "mods".
I've added a trunk; a remote choke control, a clutch cable end guard,
and a Schwinn speedo/trip computer. My question is for anyone with experience with these computers. Has anyone successfully "shortened'
the signal wire between the mounting bracket and transmitter? Are there any adverse effects? (calibration problems, etc.) Thanks in advance for any help. (sorry about the crappy bike pic.) :(

Rob :<{)

Last edited:

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
I hate to be negative, but I tried two different electronic computers (albeit neither was a Schwinn) and neither would work while the engine was on. Too much field interference from the magneto. I toyed with the idea of trying to work up some shielding, but I think it would require totally insulating/isolating the motor from the bike frame, but the mag is strong enough, I am not sure the insulation would have cured the field effect, as the trip computer/speedo works on very small current anyway. One of the shielding fixes I considered was using sielded CAT5 cable from the sensor to the computer, and fabing an insulated steel or aluminium 'box' in which to mount the computer to try to shield it from the mag; it might work, but a whole lot of effort. I just found an old mechanical speedo on e-bay for $10.

Having said that, I've seen some posts that some folks have made the electronic ones work, so maybe you'll be ok. As to your actual question, long as you do a quality splice of the sensor feed wire (I suggest soldering the re-splice and applying either heat-shrink tube or silicone for a good seal) the shorter wire should actually be better, not worse (less line loss).

Good luck!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have had more then a few of those and only had a problem with one. Think it was just the batt but never messed with it. Had them on both 4 and 2 strokes. Don't see why it would not work, shortening the cable but dunno fo-shore

Really like your "trunk" Gonna get around to getting one of these some day. Would work as a cooler too.

ActionPacker® Cargo Box / Bin | Rubbermaid

Attachments

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my $10 walmart schwinn speedo acts up and resets while starting,but after the engine is running it works.
when i had a basket on the front of my bike(i dont have a basket in front now) i mounted the speedo on the front edge of the basket and ran the wire up the side of the basket which is 1 foot from the hadle bars and the speedo worked perfect. so theres your answer,keep the speedo and wire away from the handle bars,cdi any other cables or wires. im working on a long plastic bracket to get the speedo and wire farther from the bikes handle bars and im sure it will work better.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I had a Blackburn Delphi speedo that was always resetting and locking up. I changed it out with a Cateye Velo that I have had no problems with at all. Never tried shortening the wire on either of them.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Keep in mind that the throttle and clutch cable and kill button wires are connected to the engine. Try keeping the speedometer as far from those parts as possible. Also try mounting the CDI on the seat tube instead of the down tube. Anything you can do to keep the speedometer head as far from the CDI as possible will help. The electronic interference comes from the CDI and high voltage lead (spark plug wire), not the magneto. Some people have had luck using resistance ignition wire instead of the copper core wire that comes with most kits. The solid core wire is better for the engine but the resistance wire, or TVRS wire will perform okay and might reduce the RF interference enough for your speedo to function properly. As far as shortening the leads, why do you need to do that? Simply coil the extra wire and use a nylon tie-wrap to secure it.
Tom

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
All my bikes and all the bikes I have built I use the Schwinn speedo and have never had a problem with any of them. But no I have never tried to cut the wires to shorten them.

wjliebhauser

Oct 24, 2009
Boulder City, NV
Sounds like Schwinn and some of the better ones may be shielded internally and are better quality, as they are working for many folks. The ones I had were Hong Kong cheapies (you get what you pay for!). I personally think the problem is the field effect from the magneto, as the electronic speedos work by sensing a small permanent magnet passing a tiny detector coil sensor. But whether it is high voltage pulses from the ignition or magneto field effect...the fixes are the same! Isolate and shield.

upsrogue

Jul 14, 2009
Arizona
I had all kinds of problems with the $10 Schwinn computer and just gave up, then I paid $30 for a Cateye Velo5 computer and all the problems where gone, I did'nt worry about where I ran the wire just put it on.
I was about to take the Schwinn computer back to Walmart and tell them it was broke and get my hard earned $10 back but then as a last chance put it on my pedal bike and it works great there not a hitch, so I guess I'll keep it and when I build another motor bike I will spend $20 more and the computer problem will be fixed.

And don't try and shorten it just use string ties and hide it.

upsrogue

Jul 14, 2009
Arizona
Oh and the Cateye computer will tell you your "calorie consumption" even though you did'nt even pedal the bike, you just sat there the whole time, a nice plus Haaa.

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I purchased a $15 Bell speedo from the bx. I only put a couple miles on it before my rear wheel failed. But I have not had any problems. Yet.

crzyolphart

Aug 12, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Well, Thanks to all who replied. I've decided, Rather than chance ruining what seems to be a perfectly operating Computer/speedo; I'm just going to bundle up the excess wire & wire-tie it in an inconspicuous area. My
whole issue to begin with was purely aesthetics. I HATE to se loose "stuff" hanging all over my machinery. (what can I say; I'm rather OCD)

Again,
Thanks all!
Robzpt

Last edited: