Exhaust system question

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I have a tuned exhaust system on one bike, works great but is loud(HAS SILENCER). I am not going to change this system.

My other bike has a standared exhaust: extended with 3/4 tube. The question is, if I put a second stock muffler in parallel with the original. Would I get any gain with the reduced back pressure.
If so how would it effect the sound level?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
What I have on mine is a tuned pipe I cut off the "stinger" that came with it and welded the original in it's place. It improved performance and it's actually quieter then stock.

If you're talking about running two stock mufflers in a series I doubt you'll gain anything other then really being able to hear the noise from the carb.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Kevlarr,
No I am talking about a non-tuned system, with two mufflers in (Parallel) not series.
What would the effect on back pressure and sound level?

I only mentioned the tuned system on my first bike so that I would not get recomendations to go to a tuned system.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
technically half the original amount of exhaust pulses that were passing through the original muffler would be passing through each muffler, therefore 1/2 the back pressure, but im not sure about half the volume b/c each pipe would be emitting an exhaust note at approximately the same time but each has half the amplitude of the original therefore the same volume... example: 1 speaker outputs 60 watts, 2 speakers output 30 watts each (60 watts combined) both output same amount of power but 2 speakers require less work per speaker than in the 1 speaker i.e. less backpressure from 2 mufflers than 1... to obtain 1/2 volume but 2 times the backpressure = 2 mufflers in series... makes sense to me, at least at this moment maybe someone else will chime in... -Justin

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Justin,
OK I buy both the 1/2 back-p and the loudness could remain constant. Several of the post that I have read talked about removing baffels or drilling holes for reduced back-pressure. However the result was also an increase in noise volume.
So this looks like it is worth a try. I have the parts on hand. Thanks for the input.