throttle problems

GoldenMotor.com

lilffihn

Oct 18, 2009
Winona MN (southeast MN)
hey everyone i have a problem...when i have the clutch in and its running it will start revving without me twisting the throttle...and when i have the clutch released it will keep going at about 5 mph...i need help with this thanks

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
does it keep revving up with the clutch in? or does it just rev up to a certain point?

with the clutch released your engine's engaged, so it'll roll. it's like a car in drive. it'll move without giving it gas. it should stall out though, at that slow of a speed.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most probable cause is an airleak, either at the carb or the manifold.

BUT,

first, make sure your idle screw is set correctly. screw it in by hand till it stops, then unscrew it 3 to 4 full turns out.

next, make sure your throttle cable's not binding anywhere.

take your air filter off, and look at your carb and make sure your slide opens all the way at full throttle (with the motor off) and goes all the way down when the throttle is released.

make sure your slide is seated in it's little groove inside the carb.

if all that stuff is working right, then get some carb cleaner and spray it around the manifold, (engine running) where the carb goes on, and at the engine. if there's a leak, it'll rev up, or sputter and die.

do you have an O-ring in between the carb and the manifold?

you might need a new intake gasket.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
lilffiin,
I have exactly the same problem. When you release the clutch (press in) the engine revs to a full rpm...I tried everything from changing the plugs and plug wires but still an issue. Check your throttle cable for any bends. I think it could be throttle cable because mines is slightly bent inside the throttle housing. When i twist the throttle I can see that the grips does not spring back all the way. Next thing, it could be a major air leak..So this is what I did...I went to DAX and ordered a new throttle cable, a new throttle housing with kill switch, new aluminum intake manifold and manifold rubber oring, metal screen gas filter from sbp. I am now awaiting for all of these components to come and will install. I will also overhaul my carbs again and clean it with a carburator cleaner just to make sure everything is allright. I will let you know of the progress. Dont lose hope the forum will help us fix the issue. Thanks

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
hey everyone i have a problem...when i have the clutch in and its running it will start revving without me twisting the throttle...and when i have the clutch released it will keep going at about 5 mph...i need help with this thanks

BTW...what kind of engine or kit that you have. Is it Grubee Skyhawk 66cc? If so there might be a defect on some of these engines...

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
lilffiin,
I have exactly the same problem. When you release the clutch (press in) the engine revs to a full rpm...I tried everything from changing the plugs and plug wires but still an issue. Check your throttle cable for any bends. I think it could be throttle cable because mines is slightly bent inside the throttle housing. When i twist the throttle I can see that the grips does not spring back all the way. Next thing, it could be a major air leak..So this is what I did...I went to DAX and ordered a new throttle cable, a new throttle housing with kill switch, new aluminum intake manifold and manifold rubber oring, metal screen gas filter from sbp. I am now awaiting for all of these components to come and will install. I will also overhaul my carbs again and clean it with a carburator cleaner just to make sure everything is allright. I will let you know of the progress. Dont lose hope the forum will help us fix the issue. Thanks
If I still cannot fix this problem (Grubee Skyhawk 66)....I am gearing towards buying this...

Phantom Edition Deluxe 2 Stroke 50cc Gas Engine Kit - $229.99