Installing the drive gear on 144 spoke wheel

GoldenMotor.com

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
Any idea how to do this without removing any spokes?

Can afford the shift kit so that's not an option!!

Anyone know what will happen if I remove the coaster brake arm from my bike?
will the pedals spin freely backwards ?

obviously I wont have any brakes so I need a really good rear cable braking system as this will be the only brake I will have.

.bf.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you can get a clamp shell adapter that uses 3 bolts and clamp onto hub,im sure thell fit between some spokes.im sure you can get the sprocket to fit behind the brake arm even if you have to slighty bend it.

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
you can get a clamp shell adapter that uses 3 bolts and clamp onto hub,im sure thell fit between some spokes.im sure you can get the sprocket to fit behind the brake arm even if you have to slighty bend it.

I may be able to get the bolts in there but there is no way I can get a wrench in ther to tighten the bolts.

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
the coaster brake is no where near good enough to stop me once motorized lol.

so I need a new rear brake anyway. why not just get rid of the arm at least?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
maybe cut down the bolts or use shorter bolts and put them in reverse with nut facing out,you will need to clear brake arm still.

my coaster brake stops me even at 35mph.
but if you're not going to use it i would remove the brake arm but i dont know how the wheel will react to that.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
yeah but you only need to slip the wrench between the spokes on inside and hold nut while using wrench on outside to turn nut and tighten.you may need another person to slip a long wrench from the other side of wheel and hold against the nut while you tighten from this side.

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
yeah but you only need to slip the wrench between the spokes on inside and hold nut while using wrench on outside to turn nut and tighten.you may need another person to slip a long wrench from the other side of wheel and hold against the nut while you tighten from this side.
Where do I find this adapter ?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
use the stock sprocket with 9 bolts then and do it like i said above,get another person with a long skinny wrench or socket and they will hold the bolt on the other side of the wheel while you tighten the nuts on your side.

but its not going to be easy,but if you insist on using these wheels thats what youll have to do.

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
use the stock sprocket with 9 bolts then and do it like i said above,get another person with a long skinny wrench or socket and they will hold the bolt on the other side of the wheel while you tighten the nuts on your side.

but its not going to be easy,but if you insist on using these wheels thats what youll have to do.

There the only wheels i got and from the prices on wheels that ive seen I wont be buying any new ones anytime soon.

thanx for the help ill get er done im not opposed to removing enough spokes from one side to do the install then putting them back in. if I do that I may be able to keep all the spokes mabey.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
144/3=48 so the layout will put spaces for a 3 bolt hub adapter. The 9 bolt kit adapter would layout right too. The bigger problem than tightening the bolts is getting in there to get the nuts started. If the wheel is new I bet you could find somebody on craigslist to trade you for a more standard wheel. If you just gotta have the 144 spoke wheel you may have to unlace the right side. Measure the hub and get the adapter. Install it then lace it back up. Huge PITA but whatelse can you do. You already know there's no way to just reach it there. With the wheel unlaced on one side you can mount but you can't tighten the rag mount. With the wheel laced up there's no way to tighten/fine tune it. You might be able to weld a piece of steel to a box end wrench and bent it to be able to reach in there. At least with the Creative hub adapter you could line it up and then just mount the sprocket after the wheel was reassmbled. Even then you might have to drop 3 spokes on the left side.