cdi alternative?

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
marketing is awsome isn't it?... I'v seen the display too, but was it right next to a resistor plug?..
oh, and in case you didn't know. compression changes spark. it could spark up a storm on a display, but fire like a normal plug under compression.. it's all marketing hype... the Lucas oil gear display thing makes it look like good stuff, but actully it foams up quickly and causes cavitation...
I don't know of 1 " high breed " that runs the pulstar plugs.. it's all marketing hype.. magazines and things like that..

they can sell the $35 plug even tho it does the same thing as a $1 resistor plug, because the resistor plug is not marketed as much

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I must be one of those suckers the I got three of them. 8000 miles on one so far. I use a plane simple ngk plug. Nonresistant because resister plugs don't work on these chinas.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nonresistant because resister plugs don't work on these chinas.
I assure you resistor caps or plugs work just peachy and keeps electronic speedometers from being possessed by spastic demons. I personally have run them on mine and a friend's bike for hundreds of miles with no ill effect whatsoever. While the resistor spark is just a hair weaker, the duration is longer - the engineers and manufacturers did actually account for this lol Contrary to public opinion, resistor cap/plugs don't actually require any more power - the "peak" of the electric discharge is regulated and extended slightly - thats all. They would be more aptly named "regulating" plugs/caps - the "resistance" refers to resisting electronic noise - not power.

Where you run into problems is if you try to use BOTH a resistor cap and plug - it's one or the other, both together won't work. Another issue is if you're runnin' way too much oil in your mix as they are slightly (ONLY slightly) more prone to fouling (that can be addressed via gap anyway). Yet if that's the case - it's not the plug, it's you runnin' 16:1 or whatever.

If your HT won't run with a resistor plug/cap- there is something else wrong with your bike, I'd look into that before blaming NGK.

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
While you guys are standing around your bikes with a plug in one hand and a 5/8ths socket in the other and arguing banditos putting in his $2.99 new plug and riding away! SEE YA!

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
you got my attention here...ive been toying around with the idea of putting a 2 stroke scooter cdi in and have it fire a coil...my idea was for spark advance....id need to put a battery in for this though....might be fun

Rexx Shyt

May 9, 2022
Goat hurter is correct. But you never know I've seen these engines work on a wing and a prayer.

Testname111

May 20, 2021
Hands down best CDI (my opinion) BBR

Reactions: Rexx Shyt

Soundcatalyst

Sep 23, 2022
Can these two strokes be ran with just a lawn mower coil ? Sorry new to this. I just want to know if I absolutely have to have a CDI unit to start and run my bike.