Belt Drive

GoldenMotor.com

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Im thinking about building a belt driven motorized bike.

I can get some of the parts from the auto parts yard, like a geared camgear and belt, but I think I'll have to make the rear pulley.
Thinking about useing a 12 or 16 inch rim, something like this >

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
What motor do you plan to use? 2-stroke, 4-stroke, make/manufacturer ? Are both your primary drive and final drive going to be belt? or just the final drive to the rear wheel? I'm assuming you are planing on using a v-belt for the final drive, but you also mention a camgear in your post, does this indicate that the primary drive is going to be automotive timing chain or metric timing belt? You might want to look at the belt drive trains used by Whizzer's They use v-belts and you can purchase parts from various Whizzer dealers around the country. They have a large dia. rear sheave 17in.-18in. I believe that comes with a mounting system for the rear spokes. I think they are pretty reasonably priced?

ocscully

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
The engine is a 49cc mini-moto 2-stroke. I was thinking of a geard timming belt and geard pulleys. Note the Final drive pulley, it is a 20 inch rim with the hub and spokes removed attached to the OCC rear wheel. In order for the final drive pulley to be geard, I will have to attach a matching timming belt to it with the geard side up like this >

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Pappy, Good Ideas. I Just Did What You Are Thinking Of. I Took The 6 Tooth Sprocket (that You Have On Your Current Build) Out Of The Clutch Drum And Cover. Took It To Machine Shop Last Monday. The Cut The Gear Off In A Lathe. Then Drilled And Tapped It 5/16" Nf While Still In The Lathe. I Bought The 14 Cog Drive Gear Last Fall From Golden Eagle Motor Bikes. I Screwed In A Long 5/16 " Allen Head Set Screw And Screwed The Drive Gear On. Later I Will Have A Bolt Turned On Lathe To Accomadate The 3 Rd Bearing Cover . They Sell The Cogged Pulley That Snaps Onto He Spokes For $25. I Will Post This And Then Take Pictures And Edit Them In. Glad To Hear From You Again Pappy. Ron

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Pappy. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Ron, please do. I was wondering where to find them. Had thought they would be big bucks. $25 is great!

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
I'm always a day late and a dollar short... lol
Nice job Ron, unfortionately I don't have the funds or equipment to to this, I've got to dig through the trash can and parts yard.
Oh well, ya know what they say.
One man's trash is another man's treasure. rotfl

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
This the drive gear that I found at a auto parts yeard $4.00
very close to what Ron has, same amount of teeth but twice as wide.

Last edited:

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
I'll look you up Ron when Im back in Pensacola in a year or two, I owe you a drink for all the help.
\~/ <---shot glass

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Pappy, That Would Be Cool. I Don`t Drink Any More, Just As Much Though! Haha. How Did You Drill & Tap The Hole? Have You Located A Source For The Belt, And The Correct Length? Your Use Of The Software Is Way To Cool. I Hope You Can Get A Ride Going Soon. I Would Have A Cogged Belt Drive Going A Long Time Ago If Money Was Not So Tight. I Wonder What The Poor People Are Doing Today. I Know What They Are Doing At My Place!!! It Sounds Like I Have A Cvt Belt Drive Sold. It`s Like Family, Will Miss It Dearly. Lol Ron

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
Here is what I did today, I figgered that I needed tow rollers to hold the belt away from the frame, so I came up with this brain fart by useing the hub from the rear rim of a 20 inch bike, mounting them one over the other so that the belt will go between the rollers/hubs.