hub?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sturmey-archer-s3x-3-speed-fixie-hub-kit-36h-130mm-black
will this rear hub work with my gt2 build?is it the right size.....?as i would hate to have to return it and pay return shipping.....
Are you planning to run a shift kit set up?

That is a very pricey hub and I have no experience with them, some here have used the Shimano Nexus hubs with great success with a Sick Bike Parts shift kit.

Not for sure what you're asking, but these type hubs can not be used with a standard drive sprocket set up that is normally used on a single speed coaster wheel or a typical multi speed wheel that uses a cassette or free wheel multi sprocket group.

highstrung74

Nov 4, 2014
illinois
Are you planning to run a shift kit set up?

That is a very pricey hub and I have no experience with them, some here have used the Shimano Nexus hubs with great success with a Sick Bike Parts shift kit.

Not for sure what you're asking, but these type hubs can not be used with a standard drive sprocket set up that is normally used on a single speed coaster wheel or a typical multi speed wheel that uses a cassette or free wheel multi sprocket group.
yes.i actually have the deluxe shift kit(sick bikes).so im wondering if a 15 tooth sprocket would be good with this hub as i wanna have my wheel assembled with this hub if its a decent hub for my bike....

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The S3X is a pretty tough hub, should hold up well with a shift kit. Be advised it DOES NOT freewheel! Its a mixed bag on the hubs with more speeds as to durability. There are sprockets from 13t to 22t? for the S3X I think I would start around 18t. That's about the most commonly used sprocket. If you are running either a BMX chain or bigger be sure to get the 1/8" sprockets.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A derailleur wheel and mech are much cheaper. I used to ride a fixie bike (non-motorized) and it was a blast.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I am waiting on a special order oversize freewheel for what will be the pedal side. Also some mm dies from China. I have a back up plan for adding and adapter for the pedal side freewheel hub. May have some pics to post soon.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That hub is probably the toughest built 3 speed hub you can get, but the fixie hub of course won't freewheel. If you have trouble getting a freewheel sprocket for it you can always use a one way bearing and press fit it onto the hub or a threaded adapter for a silent freewheel or you can use a freewheeling front sprocket to simplify things even more.
The fixie hub would also make an excellent transmission by running 2 sprockets on it and setting it up as an intermediate shaft between the engine sprocket and rear sprocket.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
My set up is using the fixie hub as the main and only rear hub.

I flipped the hub 180 degrees. I already have a 41 tooth sprocket to install on the normal drive of the hub.

The thing left to do is to get a freewheel installed to the opposite side of the hub for what now will be the new pedal side of the hub.

There will be no jack-shaft. Just need to have a few more parts in my hands before I decide the bast option. I looked at the one way bearings and did not see anything that I thought would work for this application.

There is some moped freewheels hubs that are suppose to be 36 mm id. I am waiting one coming from the UK. Need to see if I can thread fixie hub for 36 mm freewheel. Right no I am not sure there would be enough material on the hub to accomplish this. Get the parts in hand and take actual measurements and then decide.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That will for sure be a clean build running directly to the rear wheel. Looks like the area needed to be threaded is right at 39mm, gonna be close! If it doesn't work out maybe you could somehow add a fixed hub sprocket and move the freewheel to the front chain ring like the common shifter bike. A machined flange welded to the area you are wanting to thread would allow a sprocket to be bolted on.
Hope the freewheel works out!

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
That will for sure be a clean build running directly to the rear wheel. Looks like the area needed to be threaded is right at 39mm, gonna be close! If it doesn't work out maybe you could somehow add a fixed hub sprocket and move the freewheel to the front chain ring like the common shifter bike. A machined flange welded to the area you are wanting to thread would allow a sprocket to be bolted on.
Hope the freewheel works out!
I thought about the front chain ring freewheel but I don't want a second chain running. I spent this money it wont cost that much more to go first class.

The back-up plan is to get a round billet. Thread the hub 38 mm 1 mm pitch. Then have a coupler machined from the billet. 38mm female x 1 mm (1.500 x 24 tpi) female thread on one end and 1.375 x 24 tpi male thread on the other end.

I ordered the 120 mm hub so I would have that extra 15 mm to play with on width to have room for a coupler. Worse thing that could happen is have the wheel dished when it is done.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah its hard to know about stuff til you have hands on. I actually extrapolated the sizes of the center holes of sprockets I was looking at by measuring them on screen with calipers against a know dimension in the pic. Hit pretty dead on(read lucky!) and thing worked out the first time.
Be interesting to see what you ultimately come up with.

From my perspective the bar end shifter sucks. The handle bar mount version was really pricy. Thinking its best to clutch while shifting, hope its possible.

brown

Feb 1, 2013
Bloomington IL
I was wondering how the bar shifter might work.

I will be operating the clutch with the left hand when shifting. So I am leaning towards handle bar shifter on the right side. I will already have a duel brake lever and the twist throttle on the right side.

Although one of the venders has some sort of combo shifter I need to find and give it some consideration at some point.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I rode the bike today with the bar end shifter. Its awkward. The tracking shows the handle bar unit will be here tomorrow. I had to lock the clutch then move the shifter. I actually got pretty good at it after a bit. Its no speed shifter though. You can shift with out clutching, but its nicer to clutch.