Jun 19, 2014
Porterville, Ca
All you need is
A small sheet of aluminum
A punch
A Hammer
A crack in the cement
A pair of tin snips

First I shortened the chain a link because it was to long to work with.(with the punch,hammer and crack in the cement)
Then I cut out the right size shims

To make the holes I used a punch and a crack in the cement which made this problem.

As you can the the one on the left I worked with a little more i just hammered it flat then used the punch to make the hole to the size then repeat.(I used a small anvil but you could easily just use the cement)

The shims go here.
After some riding the "blowout" flattens out and then you add more shims as needed all in all took about 30 minutes to fix the chain problem. This is a fix that any body could do.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Are you just shimming the engine further out to tighten the chain? This may not work on too many bikes because the tensioner also keeps the chain from hitting the frame. I tried on my bike and the chain rubs the lower frame leg.
a lot of guys run a straight chain and I recommend it if possible. But it wont work on every bike.
fatdaddy.usflg

G3R0N1M0

Jun 19, 2014
Porterville, Ca
Are you just shimming the engine further out to tighten the chain? This may not work on too many bikes because the tensioner also keeps the chain from hitting the frame. I tried on my bike and the chain rubs the lower frame leg.
a lot of guys run a straight chain and I recommend it if possible. But it wont work on every bike.
fatdaddy.usflg
yes this is exactly what im doing and i am sorry to hear/read that you cant utilize this method

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Shimming the rear mount changes the angle of the front mount. You want both saddles to ride perfectly against the frame tube. Unless you make adjustments to the front mount saddle it won't ride where it needs to be. It might tighten the chain but if you didn't allow for the angle change in front your engine won't be mounted the way it was designed to be. Any air gaps between the engine mounts and frame will eventually become a problem. Sorry.

Tom