jake brake clutch

GoldenMotor.com

will michaud

Feb 29, 2012
colfax ca /northern calif
I have a huffy with a 79cc hf ,with a max torque clutch,. and when I let off on the gas to slow down I do not need to use my brakes, the motor just slows me down ,and going down hill is easy on the brakes

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Do you have a specific question in mind? Also, just a heads up, the max torque clutches are really not the best...IMHO.

Some pics of your bike would be nice....

will michaud

Feb 29, 2012
hi runnermike
yes I do have some pic's , and when I learn how to attach some I will get them in ,.
thanks for the heads up ,.
yes my question is why doesn't the clutch release when I back off on the throttle?
cllfxwill

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I think it is because the clutch is still spinning above the engagement rpms. Say the clutch pads engage at 3,000 rpm. Which means that when spinning at 3,000 rpm or more, there is enough outward force to hold the clutch pads against the outer drum. So when you let off the throttle at higher rpms, the clutch is still spinning fast enough to keep the pads/drum engaged. So if you engine brake long enough to let the rpms fall below 3,000 rpm, then the clutch will start slipping and soon completely disengage.

Otherwise the motor would stall.

So it is not surprising that you would see some engine braking, but you do not get engine braking at low speed, do you?

will michaud

Feb 29, 2012
hi maurtis
first off thanks for your input,.
yes it does grab at all speeds, I have changed the pads to the lighter weights so as to not have that problem, maybe I should change back to the heavier pads and then check the outcome, it really isn't that bad , I just have to drive down the hills , because their is no free wheeling, it's good for the brakes as they don't have to be used as much
again thanks for your comments
clfxwill