First build complete, Micargi General

GoldenMotor.com

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Well, I've completed my first build,like the title says,a Micargi General. I must thank everyone here, this site is a huge help and all of your input made this much less frustrating than it could have been. I must say in retrospect,having scanned thru this forum and reading horror stories about the china girl I was expecting mechanical issues to slow me down but instead the snags I hit were due to the bicycle I chose. The general is not the most conducive bike to motorize. I had to fab,cut and grind several things along the way to make it work with the parts I chose,for the look I wanted. I followed some sage advice and disassembled the jug and head and cleaned it up,used the aftermarket hardware kit and and aftermarket chain tensioner. I mixed my first gallon at 16:1 and she did fire right up and run but she won't run unless I partially choke the carb maybe 1/4 . The only mechanical issue I'm having is with the clutch. When I get it to start at low rpm it kind of bucks along. The closest thing I can compare this too would be if you put your manual car in 2nd gear and went from a stop,the car kind of bucks along until you get up to speed then it smooths out. Similar thing is happening here. The reason I think its the clutch is within maybe the 10 or so miles I've rode it braking it in, after a 15 to 20 minute run I've had to readjust the clutch cable because even with the lever pulled all the way in the motor was still engaged. Should I adjust the flower nut maybe as described in the adjustment post? being my first build I just don't know what to expect so I don't know if this is commonplace or an issue I should look into. Anyway, here are some pics I took earlier.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Nice looking build! Can't speak to the clutch issue, but I'm sure someone else will pipe in. How fast are you going when that happens? Some of these engines don't like to go slow. Usually you have to be over 5mph or so for the clutch to be engaged and if yours is stuck engaged, that may be all your issue. Do you have a lot of free play on the clutch cable?

You can probably go 24:1 for break in. 16:1 is too much oil.

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
Thank you, thank you. I've sorted out the clutch issue by backing out the flower . It was way too tight. The inside of the cover had a few globs of dried up grease mixed with clutch dust and what looked like pieces of old cheap paper gasket material. The gears were dry as a covered bridge so I put a dab on the drive gear where it meets the ring gear. The grease i used was some stuff I had from work this super sticky open gear lube we use on the swing gears on cranes. The stuff sshould be ideal because its designed to stay sticky and not break down so it sshouldn't go all over the inside of the case. As far as the bucking I'm attributing it to the overly oily mix I'm using and the motor not being warmed up. I took her for a longer ride last night and once she got warmed up she smoothed right out.