Offset intake carb angle!?

GoldenMotor.com

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
Prior to rebuilding my motor I set it in the new frame and determined that I was going to have to use an offset intake.

Well, I just finished the motor and when I set it back in with the new offset intake I noticed it puts my carb at an extreme angle. I'm using a Delorto 15.15 carb and I doubt that the fuel bowl can handle that extreme of an angle.

I tried flipping the intake too which had it level but it caused interference with the clutch, and to be honest, I don't want it on the chain drive side anyways because of the amount of crap the chain throws around.

As far as I can tell the motor will only sit properly in the frame one way. I can raise and lower it with the spacers but it doesn't change the angle.

Am I stuck making a custom intake or cutting and welding this one? I'm not sure why they build those intakes at such an extreme angle.

Attachments

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
If it were me, I'd go custom. At least, that's what I'm gonna do, if I can find someone who can weld & has the equipment. That way, you can bend your pipe at the precise angle you wish. At present, I'm using the original kit intake, 5/8" heater hose & 1/2" EMT conduit pipe.

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
Alright I was hoping to avoid that. There are welders where I work but they are usually really busy so I hate asking them to do side projects for me.

Maybe I can fashion one from copper to keep with my vintage theme. I'm pretty handy with a torch and solder.