Some questions about chain.

GoldenMotor.com

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
I don't own a chain breaker and I never grind the pins. I use a 3/32" punch with the pin centered over a small socket, center the punch on the pin and give it a solid whack. The pin will drive right out and can be reused if needed. Yes, it takes care to get the punch centered and held securely against the pin but it can be done. You'll want a short punch. It should only be long enough to drive the pin all the way through. The longer the punch the harder it is to control.

As for the OP's question about his current chain slack of 1/2" and the need for a tensioner based on that; the chain will wear and that 1/2" will increase. Without some way to tighten it you'll end up with a loose chain that can/will cause you troubles. It can even hurt you if it comes off or binds at speed.

As for brakes: I'd have saved the money you spent on that carburetor and made sure the bike will stop before adding performance parts to make it go faster. Brakes are nothing to scrimp on or take for granted. They can save your life.

Tom
Thanks for your input Tom. I'm going to work on my brakes some more with my Dad, and maybe adjust my spokes a bit. My brakes were functioning pretty decently prior to installing the engine before removing everything off of my handle bars, so I'm gonna try giving them an adjustment again. I'm just guessing that my brakes feel shot due to a lot of combined factors, but they still may be okay.

So as for my sticking throttle, do you have any particular suggestions on how to trim it? I don't know how I can shorten my cable without losing the stoppers on each end of them (One in the carb, one in the throttle handle bar.) Maybe I can invest in a new throttle, the one that came with the kit is plastic and feels like its going to break.

EDIT: I figured it out! I opened up my carburetor and it came to me! I just needed to stretch my throttle spring and re-assemble. I did, and even with the extra 6 inches of slack in the throttle line, it pulls itself back into the closed position fine!

I'll just have to scrounge some money up to finish this project. I'm in no real hurry to get it up and running.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom and I agree on brakes, good brakes are just as important as anything. Brakes are kinda like oxygen, we take them for granted till we try to do without them. I tried to run without the tensioner but the frame design prevented it.

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
Tom and I agree on brakes, good brakes are just as important as anything. Brakes are kinda like oxygen, we take them for granted till we try to do without them.
I really appreciate your guys concern for my safety haha, it means a lot.

I'm not going to ride this thing until I get my brakes functioning perfectly though, I've had bad experiences with bikes that had shot brakes that didn't have an engine strapped to them.

I'm curious as to whether or not I can get some disk brakes on this old bike of mine. Probably not without a lot of money, I don't think my frame supports it.

I almost feel like I should've bought a walmart bike and strapped this thing onto it instead of risking destroying this 20 year old thing. Its got some serious sentimental value to me.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Your V-brakes should be fine for your build, I use them myself with good results and I'm 250 lbs!
When adjusted correctly (on STRAIGHT RIMS) they should not rub except when you apply them. I'd start by making sure the pads are correctly aligned with the rim, about 1/16th of an inch between the pad and rim is good. If your pads are worn, any local bike shop can hook you up with a set of new pads.
If you can't get them off, try some penetrating oil and a bigger wrench. They WILL come off.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Pretty much as 2door says, I punch the pins on every chain. But I use an old stripped out torx driver to punch them...for whatever reason the handle has a hammer plate/strike plate...works perfectly...as for brakes, I use caliper brakes with no problems...i also have gotten out of the need/desire to break land speed records so my pads last longer and I can go from top speed to stop no problem...but I'm a bean pole and top out at 168lbs...youre results WILL vary...good luck and look for some super sticky pads...youll like them