sprocket not fitting

GoldenMotor.com

travis dasher

Apr 22, 2013
California
I have another issue with my build. Building up my Kona Fire Mountain, mountain bike. I was installing my sprocket on my rear wheel but no matter how I turn it there is ONE bolt that will not go in. I have a 32 spoke front and rear wheel. I was thinking of leaving one bolt out but I am concerned that if I did this it would affect the alignment. Anybody have this issue? What did you do to overcome this issue?

I was looking at one of these:
http://venicemotorbikes.com/shop/?product=billet-rear-sprocket-hub-adapter

This is becoming more and more frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I am using a similar adapter to the one in your link. To my knowledge, these will not work with 32 spoke wheels. With the rag joint, I cant say for sure if it will work but have read that some people have skipped bolts where spokes interfere. The easiest (not cheapest) method in my opinion would be a 36 spoke wheel with coaster brake and the adapter in your link or if you have a disc brake hub you can get sprockets and adapters to use.

travis dasher

Apr 22, 2013
California
Going to bite the bullet and purchase a Sportsman flyer wheel set. Seems to be the easiest and most cost effective. I could nickel and dime this thing to death or I can purchase a wheel with 12g spokes, pedal sprocket and motor sprocket already set up. Seems like a no brainer. Now I will be able to put these on the bike I originally wanted to, my Phat Cycles beach cruiser. Thanks

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have seen people mount the rag joint sprocket to a 32 spoke wheel by omitting one or two of the bolts. I don't know how long it held up.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Worksman wheels are the undisputed best wheels available for your motor bike application. Options include chrome plated steel, painted steel or aluminum rims. Steel rims come standard with plated 12 gauge spokes. Aluminum wheels come with 12 ga stainless steel spokes. Combine your new wheel set with the Sportsman Heavy Duty Sprocket Adapter for the best wheel set money can buy.
I think Sportsman is implying here that the Sprocket adaptor is sold separately and not part of the wheel set, sort of misleading if you ask me, requires intense reading comprehension.
They should not show the complete set-up in the sales picture if that is not what they are selling!
Be careful!

Last edited:

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I bought a wheel set from him and they do NOT come with the adapter. That has to be purchased separately. I went with the worksman alloy rims and they are awesome. They include stainless 12g spokes too!