over the bars and straight to the hospital...

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Sorry to hear about your wreck, Baird.

It looks like you shouldn't have too much trouble repairing the bike, but take the time to heal yourself up properly. We're all guilty of 'toughing it out' even when we know darn well we should take a break now and then, but now's the time to listen to your body, and take your time. Pushing it too soon can leave you with a longer-term problem. When I got knocked off my bike a few years ago work rushed me to get back, and I still get sharp pains in my back where I was hurt. My wife got a "door prize" on the way home one day about two years ago and still has deep tissue bruises on her leg.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
from the same article "... the bicycle overturns when the rider's thighs strike the handlebars..."

i'm pretty sure my thighs were about 5 feet above the bike. :) i don't think any part of my body struck anywhere but the asphalt. i do kinda remember looking up as i was rolling and thinking the bike was gonna slam into me...

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
Damm baird! just found out. let me know if you need anything. looks like you got alot of friends worried about you. get well my friend. you are supposed to get paid for stunts!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
It's never being in the accident that's the problem, it the sudden stop at the end of the accident we have problems with it.

That slo-mo effect is pretty cool though isn't it?
Cherish it when you have it, W-w-w-w-w-w-o-o-o-o-o-o-a-a-a-a-a-.......

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
got off the couch today and outta the house for our monthly company meeting.

every year we have aflac and our insurance reps come out and bore us to death, but this time it was just what i needed. had a long talk about my bills and my benefits, and it looks like not only will i be getting 6-8 weeks off work, but i'll be coming out ahead after it's all over.

gotta love aflac. seems kinda spendy up front, but when you need it, it really pays out.

about 5 years ago when i first signed up, i broke my arm a week later. i made one payment of 30 bucks and ended up getting over 5 grand.

also went to the doctor today and found out i have a slightly fractured left wrist, and a small fracture in my right pinky.

the hits keep right on coming...:)

for the next few weeks it's gonna be me and my two best friends, netflix and vicodin, hanging out on the couch.

hopefully after a week or two i can get back in the garage and get my new bike finished up, so i can ride it when i'm fully healed.

got a lot of time to brainstorm some new ideas, and work on some old ideas i never got around to.

so far, my positive attitude is holding up, that is, until i have to get off the couch or out of bed. that's when the broken ribs get the last laugh...

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Very cool on your coverage. That should ease the pain almost as much as the Vicodin! Keeping a positive attitude is a challenge even after a few days and pain killers can make it worse. If you find yourself feeling a bit "blah" it can lift the burden a bit to understand that it's not you, it's the chemicals. Last time I took Vicodin was after having a kidney stone removed. I thought they were out of my system so I had a glass of wine or at least I thought I had "a" glass. My wife had refilled it a few times. Had me singing "LA Woman" at the top of my lungs right up until I needed to lay down....

I hope the discomfort passes quickly for you but stay away from wine while taking the Vicodin.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Hi Baird

I just read of your mishap
I am so sorry to hear of your accident --as some have said it could have been worse
but that is little consolation when you are really hurting all over
I wish you the very best -speedy recovery
I know you are one tough cookie so take it slow and easy and I am sure you'll be back on track in no time at all

my very best -- positive energy and vibes
buba

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
... it looks like not only will i be getting 6-8 weeks off work, but i'll be coming out ahead after it's all over.

For the next few weeks it's gonna be me and my two best friends, netflix and vicodin, hanging out on the couch.
Double Bonus ;-}

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OUCH! Rough times Baird! I had a similar failure months ago but without the trauma drama. Lucky for me I was going bout 5 MPH coasting to a stop sign. Adell clamp broke pulling the arm and cable TIGHT Locked the front wheel and pulled the fender into the tire locking it up even more. Juddered to a rather long stop. Fixed by doubeling the clamp in the same rubber cover but Im still leary of the dang thing. Get better soon Bro!

Attachments

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
msrfan dropped my bike off today, and there's surprisingly little damage to it.

the hub needs the cable stop welded back on, and i need a new cable and adjusting barrels, and the fenders have a few dents.

i could fix it all in about an hour.

too bad it'll be a few weeks before my body's up to it...

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'm glad to hear that things weren't worse. You gotta love the motorized bicycle community for helping out other riders; that would've been a challenge if nobody had answered. Thank God for insurance. Take care of yourself and your bike.

Keep us updated

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I observed something the other day that should be of note to anybody with a drum or disc brake or speedometer cables. The Bernoulli effect created from the high speed front wheel makes a vacuum that sucks cables toward the spokes. This happened with my alloy and it rubbed the rim slightly and left a black mark, gladly I put a red stripe of vinyl so they're ok. I secured it better so that cannot happen again, in my case I doubt it would hang up on anything, but beware of cables near fast moving low air pressure zones like the wheels!

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That's an excellent point 16v4nrbrgr. I didn't know wheels created a vacuum. But it makes sense. Just look at an impeller of a centrifugal pump or a fan from a jet motor. Cable guides that keep it away from vacuums and moving items are important, especially if you have forks that compress allowing extra slack in the cable. Too much unguided cable tends to whip. When I used to race desert enduros, I bought this timekeeper clock that mounted to my crossbar. Practicing before the race over some whoops, the forks compressed and the cable whipped over and hung up on my new clock. When the forks extended, the front brake was locked up and I went down twisting my ankle and knee, putting me out of the next days events. It was so fast and unnatural that I couldn't see it coming or prepare for a crash.
Anyway, when I dropped of Baird's bike, you can't even tell he's injured. Out in the driveway working on motorbikes. He gave me a cool little front moped brake that cleaned up real nice.
Oh, Baird, I still have your helmet and gloves. I'll get them to you.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i wasn't really working on anything, just making room in the garage. and i was hopped up on vicodin...:)

i've been trying to do a little work, but it's rough. making the seat for my bike yesterday was too much, too soon. i need to just put the bikes outta my mind and relax.

and since the weather's so nice here, i should be pretty tan by the time i'm healed up... :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Too bad you don't live closer. I'd weld that bracket back on for you in a few minutes. And guarantee it wouldn't come off either.

I hope your insurance man doesn't catch you in the driveway working on a bike. He'll cut you off in a flash. :)

Tom