is it okay to not seal copper on sbp x cham.?

GoldenMotor.com

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Hi I lost my needle but I finnaly found it! And my sick bike parts chamber is now together I had to get 1 more 45 degree copper piece to run it on my bike but its on and I have a pixel of the silicone where the black metal pipe meets the expantion chamber, but that's all. Will it hurt the engine to level it like that? I don't mind a little oil leaking out I love the smell of it! Hahaha but please let me know! I'm assuming if I keep it rick enough it shouldn't be a problem but I'm no expert
brnot

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Generaly speaking you don't want any exhaust leaks between the head, and the x chamber. Exhaust leaks tend to make the motor run lean. That being said these motors usually come jetted on the rich side, so yours might be able to tolerate a small leak. If you see it's starting to leak very much you should definitely stay away super high rpm though, if you don't want to burn up your motor.

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Well I plan on drilling out the jet to maybe like. 72 instead of. 70 and besides using the silicone pieces what else will work? I'd like to use the silicone but I'm sure it just gonna endup falling apart I wish there was a more permenant way to install this pipe

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If you've a welder (or a local auto exhaust repair), you can take the stock exhaust, cut the head tube from it and weld a section of the SBP steel tubing to it as an adapter once it's test fitted;

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
I would do that in a heartbeat but the way my bikebis I have to had to buy another 45 degree copper poverty and it makes a weirs shape that I don't know how to replicate perfectly out of metal

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What I've done before is use the stock header pipe, to attach the x pipe. This had 2 copper fittings soldered together and two pieces of silicone in between. It didn't leak any. I think a 3/4" copper coupling will fit on the end of a stock header, and od of the coupling fits inside of the x pipe. That way you only have one or two joints to seal.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's defo another valid route & some have used electrical conduit and & tubing bender (& welder ofc) to make their own exhaust systems, but TBH I did the above mostly for looks. I've used the stock SBP exhaust system complete w/high temp tubing & it works well enough. Under extreme & constant usage you'll find the high temp silicone tubing will tend to leak a small amount (drips) & it may need to be replaced every couple of seasons... but that's not a huge deal really.

Mounting it securely can be a challenge tho ;)

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Okay maybe what ill do is get like a 8 inch piece of silicone situation it will cover All the copper pieces (I'm using 4) and. Hopefully that holds up does anyone know a good place to buy the silicone tubing?