worn out max torque clutch drum for the ezm transmission

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I usually add a good spray down of oil just before i head out on a days worth of riding in town which usually is a short run, but when i'm touring i oil the bushing twice a day.I oil it just before i head out and once more after 5 or 6 hours of riding. The oil i use is kp 57 oil or kp 75 oil for lubricating the oil bushing,which is a high quaility oil that i use. I get it from home hardware out here in sudbury.
Bushing does not need that much oil or that often.
Maybe once a week if you are riding a lot and just a
few drops.

Not recommended to put oil on a cold Oilite bearing.

Put oil on the bushing when it is hot and it will soak it up
as it is an oilite material that has an open matrix that
originally had oil added under heat and vacuum.

Is the excess oil getting on your shoes and making them slip?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Did it make metal to metal sound like brakes do? I hate to mention it but I do know there's a lot of people that hate these bikes I know I've had mine sabotaged...any neighbors around you been negative about your ride? Valve grinding compund is a bummer inside an engine don't know what else could eat that drum?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I just talked to Quenton & he told me the same thing he told Bill. Send him the clutch & he'll fix or replace it & he'll put one of the new balanced pulleys on it that he just started using. I bought one the pulleys from him when we were in Indiana.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
it was great talking to you WW, I really enjoyed it :)
the kids were like 'you were on the phone forever Grampa !!!' laff

haha, I beat you to it Jay ;)

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I usualy oil mine 3 drops about every 50 miles or so in the rural area riding, not that many take offs per mile.
City riding, I do it about every 25.
I oil the bushing on one side right after riding, roll it a little to help work in some oil, and lean the bike so that gravity will help it migrate to the other end of the bushing.
Even with just 3 drops sometimes my clutch will slip some until it burns off.
Mine is a 3" dia Comet clutch with metal shoes, no lining. I think Maxtorque is similar, just larger diameter.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
too low a riding speed with the 56,,,clutch was not engaging causing slippage and premature bell wear ;)

big hills and weight as well

we spoke for quite a while,,,whelan is a good dude (^)

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I knew you been ridin that bike for years I remember you tellin about the girls havin cat fights in the little 2 seater you hauled them in...just curious when did you buy the first q-maqtic? Just did a little math if fuel averaged $3.50 a gallon and you got 100 miles per gallon that'd be just under $6,000 driving an suv a lot of people do to haul their kids to school would have cost $35,000 in fuel alone if you got around 16 miles per gallon. So I guess I'm sayin you are being green in more than one way! kinda makes $600 kit pretty much a mute issue for cost. Did you ever replace the clutch or any other parts in that 17,000. I think you have the record for putting miles on a MB. I don't know of more.

usflg.crt..we.drn2.wee.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have been riding the stretch for approx 2.5 years
the only part of the clutch I wore out was where the drive sprocket attaches to the drum

from what I recall, when I last tore down my original clutch (around 15k miles), the 'lip' from the shoes wearing on the bell was about the thickness of a business card...
that is why I was so surprised at whelan wheels' bell issue !!!

even tho the EZM kit is 3x as much $$$ as a 2smoke kit, my son-in-law has spent more than me replacing stuff with way less miles (I will say that he rides for speed where as I ride for comfort and am easier on my stuff)