For those who have OWNED bothe EZM and 4G Compare and contrast please.

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I'm just starting my adventures being an owner of an EZM bike with the 49cc HS. Mines belt final drive modded. See the "PFFST" Build in the cruiser section. I have my first bike to finish yet and Ive been struggeling with what motor trans combo to put in it; once I eject the two stroke from the frame. I'm thinking for sure the 49cc HS now, but which trans??? The EZM seems to slip quite a lot on initial takeoff by what I've read. My initial experience seems to confirm this. I'd Like faster launch on my BTR build. The EZM is fine for my cruiser and Im still in the tinkering stage with final tuning. What I really would like is to here from those who HAVE had or currently DO have both the 4G such as that sold by Phantom Bikes, and the good o'll EZM. Differences, similarities and prefrence for riding style / situations would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I don't have the engine or the transmissions but I keep reading about problems with the 4G one-way bearing going to pot and now that Terry has said the Q-matic #8 will fit the tapered shaft of the HuaSheng 49cc Engine I am going that route.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah I've got both set-ups and like them both. The 4G is an older one with the tapered shaft and has been quite reliable since it was new. In the 15,000+ miles I've put on it, it's only snapped one clutch bell, broken one belt, and toasted one 11t freewheel output sprocket. It still has the original 3-shoe clutch and all is in fine shape considering the abuse I've given it.

The EZM Q-matic is also an older one with thousands of miles on it. No major issues, just one snapped 5" v-belt pulley and that's about it.

Between the two I've come to prefer the Q-matic a bit more than the 4G. The main reasons would be better overall top speed and getting some braking with the engine as the clutch doesn't immediately disengage like the 4G when you let off the throttle. That's really all I got, they both work fine for me.

dnut

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Dan (velo),,,
I am trying to find out from Troy (chainmaker), who converted the drive to belt,,,
I need to know what shoes, garter spring are in your clutch...
I was talking to Q and we think it was setup for a HF engine, but I haven't been able to get in touch with Troy yet to confirm

PS>>> I wasn't sure where to post this, sorry for going off topic ;)

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey Bill,
OK, now I understand the FB post. The EZ mod was purchased that way from Q, had to pay extra for the clutch with the pulley. It was on a HF 79cc. I didnt have any problems with it except at first the shoes"settling" in.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks guys! Scotto. For crossing a buisy street ( same motor, gearing, rider) which do you think would launch harder and get you across the street faster. This is an issue where I ride most of the time.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey Bill,
OK, now I understand the FB post. The EZ mod was purchased that way from Q, had to pay extra for the clutch with the pulley. It was on a HF 79cc. I didnt have any problems with it except at first the shoes"settling" in.
Thanks Troy. Now its on a 49cc I may have to make some adjustments. Im gonna get the new shaft , steel pulley for sure; saw it on Bill's new setp the other day; and mabey some fancy clutch internals. EDIT: ?? FB post ??

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Bill left me a message on FB, I wasnt sure he was talking about the set-up you got from me. Its Cool Bill is near by you, I hope the info helps getting your set-up going good. I think I maxed out at 27 with the HF, got an extra 10mph so far with the Whizzer. Again you did a super nice job on that bike.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Thanks guys! Scotto. For crossing a buisy street ( same motor, gearing, rider) which do you think would launch harder and get you across the street faster. This is an issue where I ride most of the time.
There's no question which one is going to jump off the line quicker - the 4G. The Q-matic is the better cruising gearbox tho.

If you push off the line hard and pedal harder, the Q-matic will be plenty adequate.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Dont get me wrong guys; Im likeing the EZM WAAAAYY Better than the 2 stroke on the BTR. and as it came from a 79cc and is now on a 49 once adjustments are made to the clutch its gonna be great on this bike and I LOVE the belt final drive. But I live in an area where the traffic can be thick and unforgiving. Many of the people round here never learned how to drive properly; either here or when they lived in Mexico :) and if they can read traffic signs, they dont read in English... laff Just getting across intersections can be interesting. Thanks for the input! Im sure others will benefit.

Last edited: