Sportsman 200 on Steroids

GoldenMotor.com

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Excuse me sportscarpat. I'm dreaming: I see that you're not playing and are very serious. Your current frame and wheels can handle the 420cc, then start a century club in which members do 100mph to join. Maybe you can find a younger rider with experience racing bicycles and motorized bicycles. I believe you would be within the margins of safety if you do this once and don't keep pushing your luck with repeated 100mph runs. I see Whizzers souped up doing 80 plus mph. This would be a good selling point for the Sportsman 200 on Steroids: This is an exact factory production of the motorized bicycle that ran at 100mph. Thankyou sportsmanpat.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Seat and fender detail. Fender is a reproduction of a vintage Harley, rolled with the center raised section, and is tough as heck. Seat is a Mesinger Racer with my custom mounts.

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Fork detail with steering stops and steering dampener/stabilizer.

Reduction drive system installed. I turned both pedal crank arms to the rear and then locked out the pedal system. Can be converted back to pedal operation for street use.

Top view showing layback pedal system, centrifugal clutch assembly, steering stabilizer, and a vintage cruiser style Tuf Neck stem because I had one!

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Nice!

The backwards chain guard is a nice detail and the fender is really cool!

Did you build rollers to form it or is it a one up hand fabbed?

And will you have them for sale in the future (& full size perhaps?)- I see a chance for you to get cross over business motorcycle builders here...

-Kirk

Reactions: chainmaker

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Beautiful work. On your reduction drive, how did you lock the pedals in place?
Normally I run a small idler just behind and below the pedal sprocket. The idler mounts on a lever arm and is adjustable. I shortened this bracket and bolted through one of the sprocket holes.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! Pat
Very Nice! Very Nice! Indeed
Where did you get the Mesinger seat? did you make it, refurbish it or is it a reproduction
??? Very nice build, I see alot of evolution taking place with these Boardies, we've gone from "lil Chinee Girls" to GX 200's GC 160's EXC,EXC, I believe when I'm through with my current build I'll step onto the band wagon with a GC160 qha 1 or Preditor 200
One thing I like is the styles each Major buider carries, you can tell who built what

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I have been a bit busy with no time to update this build thread till now. Here are a couple fresh pictures. Bike is painted in a satin finish Indian red. Most everything is ready to roll. I really like how the forks came out and the 21" motorcycle tires should be safe at WOT. Rear split sprocket system will make gearing changes easy without wheel removal. I added extra chain offset to clear the 3 1/4" wide tires, and then reduced the same amount between the primary and secondary sprockets on the BB reduction hub. Engine remains centered in the frame for proper chassis balance. Final drive ratio is in the mid 7's.

Here is the primary guard, and behind that the chain guard. I have been drawing away on the computer then testing my patterns in poster board mock-ups before cutting steel. Both guards are stainless. 175 cc engine recorded 17.5 hp on the dyno. Shane at AGK built the engine and did all the dyno work.

Here is the BTR handlebar detail. Computer will give us engine RPM, temp, and speed. It's a complicated layout. Much more going on here than my previous builds. Left side of bars carries fuel petcock shut off lever. Just to the right of the stem is the lanyard kill switch (lanyard removed), then toggle kill switch. Below that on the right side of the tank is the steering stabilizer.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
The handlebars are pointed "business end down" like the original BTR's. That will cheat the wind for sure. Where is the extinguisher system? Lol. Looks fast standing still Pat!