Pedals for SBP pedal arms... what thread size?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm in the slow process of putting together an SBP shift kit on a 1934 Elgin build (slow for a number of reasons such as other projects, flat wallet, working around the idiosyncrasies of this particular bike model). I have most of what I need and had thought pedals would be no big deal to line up, but...

I've looked through my box of donor pedals and everything I have is too small and all are probably 1/2". So what size will fit? I'd like to find something vintage looking since space age pedals with reflectors and such won't look right on an old bike, but first off I need pedals of some kind that fit. Are they 9/16 or something metric and weird? I'm hoping 9/16.

Sometimes simple things aren't so simple.
SB

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I dont know the thread size, but you can probably get adapters for the smaller threaded pedals to fit, possibly even at your local bike shop. I have some aluminum pedals that will fit a 3 piece crank, if you are interested pm me. I am going to get an adapter when I convert to the shift kit, because I have some old pedals that came off a grantsport circa 1970. Not as old as your elgin, lol, but still pretty vintage. those pedals fit a one piece crank, hence the adapter, because i want those pedals on the bike. anyway, pm me if you are interested in those aluminum pedals.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
BBB,
Thanks for the offer, but now that I know what size I need I ca go with a set of pedal adapters if I don't find something suitable in a 9/16" vintage set.

Tim,
Thanks for the clarification!
SB