qestions about a 99cc pred build

GoldenMotor.com

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
Ok so I'm building a pred powered bike. I'm a big guy270lbs. I have a welder and I'm a halph decent fabricator. My question is this 10:1 ok? Ill be climbing alot of hills and my china girl dose just fine w a lil help. I'm not after speed. 20-25 is just fast enough for me. Second question: I'm going to use pulley and belt drive w no cen clutch just a spring loaded tensioner w an idler pulley. Should I make a backing plate w a bearing on the output shaft or mount my jackshaft and tensioner to the frame? I've created a unique frame that should be able to handle way more power than a 99cc can put out. Ill post pics soon..shft.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
My Preddy is geared to 10.75:1 and gets 40 mph at 5600 rpm. You prolly need around 12:1 to pull hills and have relatively easy takeoffs at your weight..and a good cruise around 30 mph.

There is a gear calculator in the DIY forum at the top of the list.

No need for an extra bearing and plate for the engine's pto shaft. They are designed for an overhung side load.
Now, I did use a backplate bolted to the engine, and an outboard plate, to mount my jackshaft and bearings.

Inatead of all that fabbing, I'm using one of these for my next jackshaft .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330717252331?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Look forward to seeing pictures.

Wayne, that's a good deal for that backing plate and jackshaft bearing included. Thanks for posting the link. Making my own would take a good bit of time then deduct the cost of materials and what are you saving? Not much.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Look forward to seeing pictures.

Wayne, that's a good deal for that backing plate and jackshaft bearing included. Thanks for posting the link. Making my own would take a good bit of time then deduct the cost of materials and what are you saving? Not much.
SB
Yeah, I paid $40 for just the raw aluminum plate for my fabbed jackshaft, and about 20 hours labor to design and build it.

Way cheaper and easier to buy this backplate.

I've bought the plate recently. Going tomorrow to get another Preddy. Got a 20% coupon out of a Popular Science mag at the doctor's office this week

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yeah, I paid $40 for just the raw aluminum plate for my fabbed jackshaft, and about 20 hours labor to design and build it.

Way cheaper and easier to buy this backplate.

I've bought the plate recently. Going tomorrow to get another Preddy. Got a 20% coupon out of a Popular Science mag at the doctor's office this week
Take pictures and please do a build thread. Will this have a variable speed tranny?
SB

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
Got pics on piston bike fb group. Can't seemto liad them on here from my android. $$ is the prob. I'm tryin to sell my china girl chopper but no luck yet. The baja drive plate looks interesting but for some reason I want to do my own. I got steel a welder a drill press and more time than $. I'm waiting on a sizeable check for a job I did and don't have the$ to get the motor. Imthinkin single speed w quick change pulleys. I made my frame from the front 1/2 of a 80's murray street bike and the back 1/2 of a next power climber. Ill be posting pics soon. Till then 8f ya want search KevinBaumgartner @p..istonbikes face book group

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Wohoo! I got my new Preddy 99 for $87 and change with the 20% coupon, and a free multimeter with
$10 or more purchase with another coupon.
The shaft is actual .624"

SB: If I use this backplate with the vari-pully, I will have to offset the engine 1.75" from centered to get the final belt center in the right place, because of the 2.25" jackshaft bearing stub on the back.
The 99 preddy is a tad less than 12" wide from starter housing to the end of crankshaft. My 2 speed's engine is perfectly centered, 6" each side.
This means the clutch will stick out 7.75 from frame center, and the starter will stick out 4.25 on the other side to use the varipully and have rear belt alignment.
With a standard pulley, one would only need to offset the engine 3/4" from centered to get rear belt alignment. So I haven't decided yet wether I want that much offset or not. But it would keep the air cleaner from sticking out so far. Since I dont pedal at all, one crank more offset than the other shouldn't matter much.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey KLB,here's a pic of my 2 speed jackshaft assembly with outboard bearing.
f2.jpg
At first I tried bearings without concentric or allen screw locks, and the shaft galled pretty bad under the bearings due to the slight slack in their fit.

I changed to allen lock collar bearings and have had no problems at all in the 200 miles of service so far.

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
So that set up uses a variable speed pulley?my set up depends on weather or not my china girl sells. Its nothin spectacular just a grubbee st5 mounted in a modified cranny frame w a 6spd rear wheel and a lowered straight springer frnt. Stubby crank and apes. But I got many hours polishing the case n covers. I've also fabbed my own over the top header and made a small exp muffler. Hey do u know how to send pics to here via txt msg? I don't have internet or the time to sit @ mcds wiifii.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hello klb6154,I'm right with Ya in the lbs. area,and I have a Predator on a Schwinn Legacy I'm changing from friction drive to chain drive,I just figgered how to post pics and all of the pics I have are to big to post of the f/d,but I have started a new thread in the dyi sec. on the change....Warning may be picture heavy....Tigmaster....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
So that set up uses a variable speed pulley?my set up depends on weather or not my china girl sells. Its nothin spectacular just a grubbee st5 mounted in a modified cranny frame w a 6spd rear wheel and a lowered straight springer frnt. Stubby crank and apes. But I got many hours polishing the case n covers. I've also fabbed my own over the top header and made a small exp muffler. Hey do u know how to send pics to here via txt msg? I don't have internet or the time to sit @ mcds wiifii.
Yes, I have a variable pully from Mcmaster Carr on the jackshaft output. I had to modify it and add a bike shock spring to get enough belt tension. When I pull the shift lever, the idler tightens the belt enough to spread the pully for a lower ratio.

Can't help you with text msg pics.