Original 1903 Indian at auction...

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd like to announce that today I purchased an original and complete 1903 Indian camel back at the Frederick Maryland auction. I'd like to make that announcement, I really would, but since I didn't bid, I also didn't win. Ha!

I understand that yesterday an offer was made of $100,000.00 which was declined. The local newspaper speculated that it will go for more than twice that. Dan (Tinsmith) and I went to look at it in particular and also to look over some nice old motorcycles and cars. We didn't stay for the auction, so I don't know what it finally sold for or if there was a reserve which wasn't met. It was pretty cool though seeing it "live". I also understand that it was found in Carrol County Maryland.

Dan took my picture as I looked at the bike and I wondered who the original owner was who purchased a brand new Indian one hundred and nine years ago. I also wondered what that person would think if they could see the long line of people passing by for a look and appreciating something wonderful from a very long time ago. It is a time machine for sure.

I'll also post some photos of some Harleys, other Indians and one Excelsior. The sidecar was sitting near the 1903 Indian, but i don't know if it belonged with it. It looked to be of similar vintage.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Will you have it running before I get there???

Steve.
Oh sure. New rubber in back and a fresh spark plug. Should fire right up.

Actually Dan and I were talking about it on the way home from the auction. I appreciate that old Indian and some of the great machines of newer vintage (still old timers) we saw, and neither of us felt like we really wanted them. I mean even if we could afford it. We're having too much fun on our little putt putts... dreaming things up and then fabricating them. These are our bikes. We made them. We ride them and fix them when something isn't right or breaks down.

I'm sure you took great interest in the photos of the 1903, Steve, as it is the inspiration for your camel back tri-car build. Which would be more fun, writing a check for that old Indian and then trying to decide to either leave it alone or restore it to running condition (and writing a whole bunch more checks)... or what you're doing? I'd personally choose to do what you're doing, having the whole rich experience of welding things together, making this and making that, laying awake at night solving problems and making decisions, painting it and attaching that hand made ceramic badge you have for it and firing it up for the first ride. Woohoo! I think I know what your choice would be, too. Face it my friend, we're bike building junkies.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear, I have to agree whole heartedly with you and Dan. The newer ones are fun and the 1903 is magnificent time capsule. Add the side car and it doesn't get any better very often.

From what I've seen over the years in antique cars there will be hundreds of people writing in all the car and motorcycles mags that restoring the two would be worst thing possible. You would be destroying history they'd say. Kind of like the old bike guys who roll around the floor like a puppy wanting it's tummy rubbed at the sight of some old rusty bike that was found in a barn.

If I had the money to buy it the bike and sidecar it would disappear from sight, only to be shown to people who have a genuine need to see it untouched. As a guy I worked for once said "Cash is King and I'm wearing the crown."

I agree with you about building a look alike, sort of , almost real, is quite rewarding. The photos that you and Dan took answered a lot of questions that I had. Curt sent some as well and between the two I can see that a new gas tank is in order and now that I've seen the oil tank that is possible as well.

I guess doing a "good enough" job on it is ok but looking at all the wonderfull builds that are showing up daily there is no more "good enough" The level is now "Holy Smoke" look at that build.

We are old friend, bike building junkies, and we could never be in better company could we.

fasteddy.