grease in my clutch pad?

GoldenMotor.com

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Okay, so I haven't used my 4 stroke for over a year now and today I finally broke down and decided it was time to figure out what was wrong with it. You'll have to excuse me because I'm mostly a woodworker by hobby, not a mechanic, so I don't know all of the terms. I have the 4 stroke Whopper Stopper Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit.

Symptoms are as follows:
- It starts, but it doesn't like to and only with a lot of throttle.
- It doesn't get much speed. I'm talking 15 mph max.It used to propel me up to 39 mph.
- It dies soon after I lay off the throttle

I pulled apart the carb and checked to make sure that the little hole that the pin gets pushed into by the float wasn't clogged. It's good. Then I searched around for answers on here and learned something I didn't know before. When I built my ride over a year ago I read somewhere that to keep your gearbox both quieter and cooler you need to pack marine grease in there. I did so. I packed a lot. I packed it full. There is no space in my gearbox for air kind of packed. I guess i like to follow instructions, don't judge.

Anyway, I was reading around and people have said in a few places that this can damage your clutch because it can get in the pads or between them or something of this nature. I already had the gear box open so I pulled out the two screws holding the back of the box to the engine. I had to remove a ton of grease to even find the screws. Then I tried to remove the side of the engine to get to the clutch. There were six screws to remove. When I removed these all my oil dripped out. I should have thought of that problem before removing the side of the engine. Unfortunately I can only get that side panel to come out about 1 cm and then it stops. I can't get it out any further. I have no idea how to get at the pads to clean them. Any suggestions? Am I even on the right track? I miss the freedom of my bike. Any help is appreciated.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You don't want to over pack it cuz it will not move.The clutch has a woodruff key and a bolt that goes into the end of the shaft.The clutch can be hard to get off even with the bolt and key removed.Next time you pack the gearbox add some trans fluid or oil to get the grease flowing..hope this helps

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The engine side cover will not come off due to the fact that the clutch is firmly attached to the engine shaft. The cover will only move out until it hits the back side of the clutch.
There really is no reason to remove the side cover of the engine anyways. You only need to do that if you need to access something internal inside the engine. You have only created more work for yourself by messing with the side cover as now you need completely remove it to reseal it which involves carefully scraping the old sealant off both surfaces and applying new sealant.
In order to access the clutch you need to remove the gearbox from the engine side cover. I recommend temporarily reattaching the side cover to the engine before attempting to remove the gearbox so you will not be fighting a "floating" side cover.

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Okay, so I figured out that I don't think it's the "clutch" which isn't really a clutch that is the problem. I believe it's the centrifugal clutch. I think it's always engaged instead of engaging at a specific RPM. I think it needs to be cleaned but I don't know how to get it out to clean it. It was the centrifugal clutch that I was trying to get at by removing the side of the engine. How do I remove it? It has an 10 mm bolt that looks like it is holding it on with a washer behind it. However, no matter how much I turn it just keeps spinning. And after I do get it out, how do I clean it?

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Okay, so after bumbling around on the interwebs for a while I figured out how to take the centrifugal clutch off. I found that the spring was broken at the connector spot. I just popped up the next coil and reconnected it then stuck it all back together.

The good news is that the bike runs now! It starts with one pull and can idle just fine. The bad news is that it is severely, severely underpowered. Could the spring be too tight now that its one coil shorter? The engine sounds fine it just won't push me up a hill nor get any speed like it used to. Suggestions?

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
explain: "tighten the clutch pads." You got to remember.. I'm not a mechanic. How to I tighten those guys. By the way, it was a huge pain putting them back on. What is the technique for getting that spring back on without driving yourself insane? I finally torqued the spring back on with a bunch of screw drivers. I don't think I'm cut out for this mechanic work. Thank God wood is more moldable than metal.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Absocold

by changing the length of the spring you changed the rpm that the clutch engages not allowing the motor to spin up to a point it can start making power. post us some pics so we can help you determin what motor and trans you have. As I have never heard of that kit

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Okay, so I decided you were right that the clutch was the problem. I ordered the new centrifugal clutch as bicycle-engines.com.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/centrifugal-clutch-p-283.html

I took out the old centrifugal clutch and put in the new one. I have bicycle-engines old stage III gear box. With it off I can pull the cord and the engine spins. I haven't tried to actually start it with the box off because it seems dangerous. In any case, once I put the gear box on it completely locks up. The pull cord won't move an inch. What could be the problem? Do I need: http://www.bicycle-engines.com/centrifugal-clutch-stage-p-123.html with the different piece that goes over the centrifugal clutch? How can it be that different? Help please.