Predator Governor

GoldenMotor.com

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Im about to start a 99cc Predator build and am wondering if it is necessary to open the engine to remove the governor or if it can be bypassed another way. Im also wondering if the low oil sensor being left in will present any type of problem. Any comments are very much appreciated.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I havr 2 Preddy 99cc builds. There is no reason to remove thwe govenor internaly. I just remove the friction throttle, and leave the bellcrank in place, and reverse the stock govenor spring so that it pulls the throttle closed. That simple. I then wire my throttle cable to the bellcrank by using the hole next to the rod that connects to the carb.

Neither of my engines have an low oil shutdown.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I havr 2 Preddy 99cc builds. There is no reason to remove thwe govenor internaly. I just remove the friction throttle, and leave the bellcrank in place, and reverse the stock govenor spring so that it pulls the throttle closed. That simple. I then wire my throttle cable to the bellcrank by using the hole next to the rod that connects to the carb.

Neither of my engines have an low oil shutdown.
Can you just leave that rod sticking out of the governor spot without anything on it alone?

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Can you just leave that rod sticking out of the governor spot without anything on it alone?

Yes you can, as long as you leave the little wire clip. If you remove it, the shaft will fall into the engine and you will have to open the motor.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Yes you can, as long as you leave the little wire clip. If you remove it, the shaft will fall into the engine and you will have to open the motor.
Ok, just out of curiosity, why is it that some people say that it is bad to leave the governor assembly in the engine when you just disconnect it on the outside? Is this not the case for the predator 99cc?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Ok, just out of curiosity, why is it that some people say that it is bad to leave the governor assembly in the engine when you just disconnect it on the outside? Is this not the case for the predator 99cc?
Some of the govenor parts are plastic. Some of the Kart guys hop up these motors with racing cams, stronger valve springs and lightweight flywheels, header, bigger carb. They rev the engines to around 7-8 K rpm, and the govenor can come apart in there with bad results.

The stock engine won't rev much over 5000 because the valves start to float, and the govenor hasn't been problematic with them.
Remember, the cam and govenor spin at 1/2 of the crankshaft speed.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
would you leave something in that was made to spin at a max of 3600 rpm when your now going to spin the motor at over 5500rpm. Good luck with the made in china parts not coming apart and ruining a good motor
The cam spins at half the engine speed. 2500 is not that fast. Quite a few of us are running like this with no problems. I've never heard of one coming apart yet, just speculation that it could.

I would rather take that small chance than tear down a new engine.

Most ppl don't abuse their engines that much. If they do, then they will have to expect problems.

I run mine pretty hard, but spend very little time at max rpm. If it tears up, I'll deal with it then. The plastic parts might nor tear things up too much LOL I'll be a pioneer and take the chance, for others to know.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had a 79cc Greyhound that I disconnected the governor from, but left the internal parts. I ran that motor hard and never had a problem with it. Now I have a 99 Predator and will do the same. Be interesting to know how one of these would run souped up like the Kart guys do. I wonder how much it ups the hsp.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've cleaned this thread of the arguments. I don't want to do it again.
If you disagree with something you see, move on if you can't comment without the hostilities.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
if you leave the govenor shaft in the engine your asking for trouble it could get cought in the engine and go right through the case pull it out and screw in a 1/4 20 screw in the hole were it was..

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
if you leave the govenor shaft in the engine your asking for trouble it could get cought in the engine and go right through the case pull it out and screw in a 1/4 20 screw in the hole were it was..
What's it gonna get caught on if it's still in it's original factory installed positon. I still have the bellcrank and throttle linkage hooked to mind so it can't articulate any more than the factory design.
Maybe with just the pin sticking out it could though. Have you heard of this ever happening or is this speculation? Curious minds want to know. :~)

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Good point. I read the thread a while back where AGK recomended removing the govenor because at very high rpm that his motors make the plastic gear could grenade. He didn't mention about the arm causing probs. It would be logical to remove the arm if the motor is opened to remove the gear.

If one wants to leave the gear and not open the motor, I believe that they should leave all of the external govenor parts intact, except for the friction throttle and reversing the spring, to keep the arm from moving more than it's normal range.

The other more dangerous concern with his high revving motors was the chance of the stock flywheel exploding. Also, I've read someone here that had a problem with his plastic flywheel fan coming apart.

Surely the crank striking the arm can't be good. But it looks like the rotation direction of the crank would tend to knock the arm away instead of getting caugt up. Sorta like sticking something into the front of a spinning fanblade, it gets knocked away, not pulled in.
Maybe that's why this hasn't been an issue with those that removed the bellcrank.

I don't think that exploding parts is much of an issue with a stock motor. The valves float, limiting the rpm on mine to just a tad over 5000 rpm.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I spent some time at the AGK site and am thinking about getting their modified carburetor. With more air and gas going into the engine does that translate to higher rpm's or does it mean you get more torque or power from the engine without increasing the rpm's? Or both?

My questions reveal the fact that I don't really understand much about the dynamics of gas motors.

If I can get more power, particularly for take off and hill climbing, without putting the engine in jeopardy then I'd like to do that. Yes, I know I could change the gearing and lose some top end, but I like cruising without the engine wound out. I merely want it all. Ha!

Changing my oil today for the first time on this engine.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I spent some time at the AGK site and am thinking about getting their modified carburetor. With more air and gas going into the engine does that translate to higher rpm's or does it mean you get more torque or power from the engine without increasing the rpm's? Or both?

My questions reveal the fact that I don't really understand much about the dynamics of gas motors.

If I can get more power, particularly for take off and hill climbing, without putting the engine in jeopardy then I'd like to do that. Yes, I know I could change the gearing and lose some top end, but I like cruising without the engine wound out. I merely want it all. Ha!

Changing my oil today for the first time on this engine.
SB
Prolly gain a little of both. Talk to AGK. They might have ideas for tuning for low end torque, like a longer intake runner, certian length exhaust, or purpose ground camshafts.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Remember these are made in china where quality depends on who got the biggest bowl of rice that day. Just my opinion but if I am going to run it above 3600rpm I will pull the guts of the gov. In doing so will be the perfect time to inspect the bearing and make sure they are good to go if not good time to replace with better ones

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
The cam spins at half the engine speed. 2500 is not that fast. Quite a few of us are running like this with no problems. I've never heard of one coming apart yet, just speculation that it could.

I would rather take that small chance than tear down a new engine.

Most ppl don't abuse their engines that much. If they do, then they will have to expect problems.

I run mine pretty hard, but spend very little time at max rpm. If it tears up, I'll deal with it then. The plastic parts might nor tear things up too much LOL I'll be a pioneer and take the chance, for others to know.
Wayne,the gov. runs off its own gear on the other side of the crank throw,(not the cam gear)and its spins the gov and activates its centrif.mech.action that moves the arm.If You limit the arms movment,it still try to move and it will come apart(the plastic gear) I'm still running Mine on My bike(gov.) and it honks good'nuf for My fat arse!....Tigmaster....

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Wayne,the gov. runs off its own gear on the other side of the crank throw,(not the cam gear)and its spins the gov and activates its centrif.mech.action that moves the arm.If You limit the arms movment,it still try to move and it will come apart(the plastic gear) I'm still running Mine on My bike(gov.) and it honks good'nuf for My fat arse!....Tigmaster....
Well, I'm gonna be one of the pioneers like some of the others here and keep running it hard like I have it. If it blows up then we'll know,for sure and y'all can say "I told ya so"LoL