Buddfab's Maytag Bike

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Msrfan, we have formed an angry mob and the people have spoken...... We will expect a bike in a few months or feel our angry wrath!!!!!!!! LOL just kidding........ But we still want you to do a may tag build :)

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Here's some of my Maytags. They're really amazing little engines. Heavy castings and bulletproof. They run forever. The twins are more rare than the singles even though they are later models. Most everyone had electricity by the time the 2 cylinders were made.

I spy with my lil eye, two homeless whizzers and I agreewith velodrome, (haha)laff

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Okay Harry. It's not like they're all just for display. Years ago I made this scooter from plans out of a 1934 Popular Mecanics magazine. It went about 3mph. Once around the block and then up on the shelf where it remains today. Later I made a more compact version using a 2hp Briggs and we still ride it occasionally.

Actually, charlie, there's three Whizzer motors on the shelf and about 10 more hidden away in boxes. I'm saving them for retirement projects, which should begin in about 3 or 4 years.

I love the Briggs motors, curt, because of simplicity and availability. I have a few old models also, like a "Y", "A" and a "ZZ".

Yeah, silverbear, I wish you still had one. I would almost trade one for a Villiers, (almost).

I am busy, velodrome. Can't you tell?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I got a couple spare Villiers, I'll trade..... Pick me pick me lol

And I love the scooter, I wanna build one but sadly have way too many unfinished projects

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep I was just kidding. I have some old briggs myself like the dudol bug used. and a coupe older. Like SB not knowing that I would be bikeing it I sold a twin maytag. I know a guy in Wisconson that does cleanup and scraping and is keeping a eye out for me.......Curt

PS funny how the old plans hold good today, smart old boys back then

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I've been looking for a maytag ever since I seen this build, but unfortunately I am yet to even see or hear of one in Australia...... But we have Villiers engines everywhere...... But i personally prefer the maytag twin, in the looks department anyway. But both are still very attractive engines

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I've been looking for a maytag ever since I seen this build, but unfortunately I am yet to even see or hear of one in Australia...... But we have Villiers engines everywhere...... But i personally prefer the maytag twin, in the looks department anyway. But both are still very attractive engines
Argh, luky. Villiers' are as rare as slugs teeth here in the middle of minnesota : /

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I was actually watching a Villiers last night on EBay..... It was a slightly later model then mine but had a clutch attached, I think it was off an autocycle...... But it ended up going for $135 which was more then I was willing to pay ATM but probably still worth ot

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Hi new guy here.
I found this forum while looking for info.
I now have collected a Maytag 72d off ebay, a Worksman INB, Timeless cycles rear belt pulley, Jos. Lucas Carbide Headlamp, vintage seat to recover, and a couple of other goodies. I have already cut the frame up for modifications.

Build thread coming soon..

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hi new guy here.
I found this forum while looking for info.
I now have collected a Maytag 72d off ebay, a Worksman INB, Timeless cycles rear belt pulley, Jos. Lucas Carbide Headlamp, vintage seat to recover, and a couple of other goodies. I have already cut the frame up for modifications.

Build thread coming soon..
Go for it. Let me know if I can help.