first build, friction drive MTB

GoldenMotor.com

bAllah

first build, 2.5hp 97cc

right now there's this, and a 80$ craigslist scooter motor that I can't see if it works

do yall think I should just pick up internal auto transmission from this thing? would it run on the lifan?

Been thinking about frame mount lately, for weight reasons.

also unsure about bike frame. Going to try and sell my troll frame to finance this,, I think cruiser would be most comfortable, and biggest space for engine? though if a MTB frame would fit for a good deal, might b
e worth it
....hmmm

now about the drive,, im unsure and need suggestions

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have been looking at the gy6's for a while. 80 bucks is a great deal. If it comes with the CVT/tranny, awesome. Not that ya need it for a FD but be cool to have on hand bALLah. I was thinking pusher with one.

So now that I have been of no help, if ya do get it, please report on how it does. Has a gen and electric start too!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you really want to build a friction drive the scooter type engines are going to be difficult to use. Friction drives can be done in many ways. My advice is if you are going to accept their short comings, wet weather slippage, and tire wear(only a problem with a badly made design, Im over 1200mi on a tire now), then go for a direct drive it is the simplest and most reliable drive there is. With an engine in the 2.5hp range you will have all the power needed to drive the bike over most all terrain.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Those will make one heck of an MB. A bunch have been done on the forum here. Might want to search them to see the build. If you have the fab skills and equipment why not! Be sure you are getting a complete, and not a replacement engine. Also the bike you use will have to be carefully selected/built as per wheels/brakes/frame. It will hit some pretty good terminal velocities.

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
"" Engine is in good shape and ran when pulled ""

BE VERY CAREFUL of that in the Craigslist ad.... pulled yesterday, pulled last week, pull 2 months ago, pulled a year ago????

I worked on a used GY6 clone a few years back and it was a gosh darn nightmare!!!!

Go with a new engine.... HF has the 99cc for less then $100 not including the 20% OFF coupon

bAllah

"" Engine is in good shape and ran when pulled ""

BE VERY CAREFUL of that in the Craigslist ad.... pulled yesterday, pulled last week, pull 2 months ago, pulled a year ago????

I worked on a used GY6 clone a few years back and it was a gosh darn nightmare!!!!

Go with a new engine.... HF has the 99cc for less then $100 not including the 20% OFF coupon
woah where is this?! last i checked the predator 99c was only 10 less than the 128 at 140$, and wher do i get this coupon?

oand do u think taking the CVT off an old yamaha raz 49cc would hook up to that thing?

Last edited: