Got my little 25cc weedwacker FD done today... pics

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got my 25cc weed eater brand weed wacker FD going today, still needs a couple tweaks like better throttle and the tension spring needs adjusting just a tad more.

I took several pics, but I got in a hurry and missed pics of a couple of the stages, no biggy though this was a very simple build, I started on it yesterday evening and got it rolling this afternoon.

Pic of bike used, it was in my junk pile and is pretty rusty but its a Diamond Back BMX bike and is a ChromeMoly Frame, everything works good just looks pretty rough.

Peace, map

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
More pics... last took of bike and of the peg I made the drive roller out of.

This thing is pretty gutless for the most part and in someways not much more than a waste of my time and efforts, it will hit about 25mph it seems on the flat ground but has no grunt at all for pulling my 200lb butt up a hill of any kind, very under powered, for dirt roads and a 200lb fella.

But if I took it to town and wanted to bee bop around on the streets that aren't hilly it would actually be kinda fun, for that.

Everything I did to it as far as the mounting set up and all works great, it is very sturdy and works smooth, I wanted to devise a way to make this without ever needing to weld anything and I did, I have welders and a torch I did use when I bent the 3/4" bar but I could have done that bend in the fork of a tree just the same if I needed too, I just wanted to make an all bolt together set up and I did and it would be very easy to put this set up on most bikes, inexpensive overall and very user friendly with not needing to be welded at any point.

tell me what you think.........

Peace, map

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice job looks like a fun ride.
Thank you sir, not nearly the power I'm used to but it does ok for what it is and I'm sure it will be a nice little ride on the paved roads that run pretty flat.

I will take it all back down and clean the bike and paint it up so it doesnt look like it came from where it did........my junk pile...LOL!

Peace, map

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
clutchless?

i like it alot map!

i love the way you used hardware and simple bits of off the shelf metal, thats the way i build and it came out really clean!

i suggest putting welds in spots that dont need to be unbolted to service the motor
heck weld the nut and bolt together,

those little 25cc motors like to vibrate just like any engine, and the nuts always loosen on me, even with locktight somtimes

i love your down and dirty throttle!
you got to one hand it like a rally driver on your dirt roads!

id suggest a smooth rear tire for better acceleration, leave the knobbies on the front

long live the wasp bikes!

nice build

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks for all the atta boys on this little fella, I will have a different throttle soon and I plan on a smoother back tire as well, I used loctite and lock washers on everything so I'll be kepping an eye on all the fasteners, if they tend to loosen up a bit all it takes is a simple pingof the threads with a pointed punch and that will keep anything from vibrating off but will still allow it to be loosend and adjusted if need be.

Thanks again for the kind words on this project.

Peace, map

clutchless?

i like it alot map!

i love the way you used hardware and simple bits of off the shelf metal, thats the way i build and it came out really clean!

i suggest putting welds in spots that dont need to be unbolted to service the motor
heck weld the nut and bolt together,

those little 25cc motors like to vibrate just like any engine, and the nuts always loosen on me, even with locktight somtimes

i love your down and dirty throttle!
you got to one hand it like a rally driver on your dirt roads!

id suggest a smooth rear tire for better acceleration, leave the knobbies on the front

long live the wasp bikes!

nice build

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I dont find it rough at all. It is a thing of beauty to me. These little bikes are easy and cheap and pretty much disposable components. What more could you want for simplicity of build..

I wouldn't paint it, I would revel in the junky look. It is dynamite in my opinion. Just shows how genius you are, It captures the true spirit of the wasp type bike.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
A really innovative mount concept! Could also be done with 1/2 water pipe and an elbow, might be easier for those with no torch to heat to bend the rod with, could be a tad lighter too. Got me to thinking about a 30cc blower motor I have sittin around. Noooooo!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
when I saw the mount I thought of all those cranks I have laying around the shop. I also thought why do I need a henge with them lol.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I love this kind of stuff. There are thousands of weedwackers hanging unused on garage walls around the country right now, saw a bunch for sale at yard sale over the weekend for a few dollars each, plenty enough to power bikes for decades, lol. The DIY small engine weedwacker bike is close to the true heartbeat of the whole MB thing, IMO......low cost, simple and a lot of fun.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
as one who rediscovered the light weight, low power bike, I agree completely. Not only are they fun to ride, but you get out in the fresh air and get a little exercise without being out of breath at any time. Even for me a fat old man.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I dont find it rough at all. It is a thing of beauty to me. These little bikes are easy and cheap and pretty much disposable components. What more could you want for simplicity of build..

I wouldn't paint it, I would revel in the junky look. It is dynamite in my opinion. Just shows how genius you are, It captures the true spirit of the wasp type bike.
Thanks deacon, great compliments on the build and the effort involved......I really do appreciate it.

Several fella's on here have stuff that blows what I did her ecompletely away including you so I'm just happy to be a part of the "Done it all myself" group.

Yea Haw...!

cvlt1

map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yep I actually thought about using pipe myself, would have been cheaper and not required bending, as to the weight issue that is a good thing, if I used pipe I would fill it with either sand or BB's, these FD's like this to tend to be a bit bouncy so the extra weight helps with that, and i still needs a spring for added pressure on the tire or it will bounce and slip a bit.

Thanks for the kind words Bro.

Peace, map

A really innovative mount concept! Could also be done with 1/2 water pipe and an elbow, might be easier for those with no torch to heat to bend the rod with, could be a tad lighter too. Got me to thinking about a 30cc blower motor I have sittin around. Noooooo!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Amen & Amen......

Now I'm gonna do one with a bigger engine, I have one of the older 31cc Ryobi's that had way more power as a weed wacker than this little 25cc Weed Eater brand ever did, the Ryobi may be a sweety when I get it done.

Peace, map

I love this kind of stuff. There are thousands of weedwackers hanging unused on garage walls around the country right now, saw a bunch for sale at yard sale over the weekend for a few dollars each, plenty enough to power bikes for decades, lol. The DIY small engine weedwacker bike is close to the true heartbeat of the whole MB thing, IMO......low cost, simple and a lot of fun.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Amen & Amen......

Now I'm gonna do one with a bigger engine, I have one of the older 31cc Ryobi's that had way more power as a weed wacker than this little 25cc Weed Eater brand ever did, the Ryobi may be a sweety when I get it done.

Peace, map
Wow cool I cant wait to see it being bilt. Hope you take lots of pics.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I plan to make the same type of mount for it as I did with the 25cc weed eater engine, haven't got into that engine yet but maybe soon if all goes as planned, it needs a carb kit I know, but I have a Walbro carb that came off of a 32cc Craftsman weed wacker that was burned up, so I may be able to rig it up on the Ryobi, not sure yet but will get into that in the next few days hopefully, only place I have to work right now is outside and the daytime temps here have been 104 - 106 in the shade with little to NO breeze, makes it hard to work on anything in those conditions....very very hot with hunidity 80+%.....ouch!

I plan to get a 1" roller on the 25cc instead of the 1.5", it should help it in the power department a little, it needs all the help it can get for sure...LOL!

Peace, map