bike stabilizer for the old and infirmed

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay when they let me go back to riding a bike I am going to building a stabilizer for my bikes. I have issues so it's time to address them since I am not going to stop riding. What does a bike stabilizer have to do.

1. prevent the bike from fall over in all but the harshest situations.
2. either be very small so that the whole bike and stabilizer can be rolled in and out of my shop walk door. or be completely removable and light weight.
3. Made from parts and made with tools laying around the shop.

I am thinking an attachment, like a trailer but with the wheels set so that they are at least partially beside the rear bike wheel. Take my standard bike trailer cut a slot for the rear bike wheel to rest inside the trailer frame then attach it to the bike near the rear axle.

Lets say I used a 16" wheel set, I could make the stabilizer no more than 30" wide and it would make bikes length about ten inches longer that's not too much of a stretch. It would give me three wheels on the ground back there and should add a lot of stability. If used with the big Ilfan engine, the extra weight would hardly be noticeable.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thats what this is training wheels with a little step behind to carry a gallon of gas or my lunch lol. I admit it adult training wheels..

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Sry, I goofed up the pic.

There's plenty tadpole pics out there...
Can't fall over and really comfortable seating position... comfortable as you wish to make it!
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I saw them but they are way way past my skill lever therefore past the skill level of most older bike riders as well. I want to design something that is based on a standard bike from Walmart or the thrift store. Something that is removable for storage and easy to attach. Something that will fit through the door if you want to bring the bike in while it is attached.

Like the man said adult training wheels. Or rather a cross between adult training wheels and a trailer. The main purpose is not to carry things but to make the bike absolutely stable.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Will the 4 wheels take you out of the MB rules in NC? There was a guy selling motorcycle "trailers" on ebay, he took a standard small utility trailer, cut out a section in the middle and the M/C was installed there. Something like you are pondering. Worked good, you could carry all kinds of stuff behind and next to the M/C. Maybe a narrow version?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I didn't see it but it's exactly what I had in mind. I think i can convince the cops that it is just a trailer since it has to be removable anyway. I'm thinking 20" wheel on the bike 16" on the trailer although I have both a 12.5 and 16" I can convert either. The small one might do better since the bike wheel itself is small.

redeyerat

Aug 7, 2011
west side of canada on a rock
Hey guys, first post for me, love this place! Especially the DIY network. Here's some vids of some stabilizers for two wheeled motorcycles. Probably not for this application but thought this was cool, and might give you an idea.

‪GSX-R 1000 with outriggers for people with a spinal cord injury‬‏ - YouTube
‪My First R1 Ride with Stabilisers T5 Paraplegic‬‏ - YouTube

I'm in the process of trying to mount a cat-eye pocket bike motor-trans combo to my ratrod trike. So far i'm not winning but i'm not going to give up!

Cheers

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey guys, first post for me, love this place! Especially the DIY network. Here's some vids of some stabilizers for two wheeled motorcycles. Probably not for this application but thought this was cool, and might give you an idea.

‪GSX-R 1000 with outriggers for people with a spinal cord injury‬‏ - YouTube
‪My First R1 Ride with Stabilisers T5 Paraplegic‬‏ - YouTube

I'm in the process of trying to mount a cat-eye pocket bike motor-trans combo to my ratrod trike. So far i'm not winning but i'm not going to give up!

Cheers
Most of my builds humiliate me but seldom do i let them beat me. You will do it I'm sure.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So I feel just well enough to use a tape measure this morning. I measured first my door opening. It is 36" with a wicked left turn going in. I think it would be easier to build a removable trailer type stabilizer. That way if they ever question the number of wheels on the vehicle, I can swear it is a trailer, period.

As of now my plan is for two rectangle boxes made from angle metal much like a bed frame angle iron. Each box will contain a 16" bicycle wheel. (from the thrift store of course) .

On each side of the bike I will attach a steel L shaped shelf bracket. I will drill a hole in the inside trailer wheel frame on each side about two inches back from the front to attach to the L bracket about two inches from the bike frame.

I expect this to add only 6 to 10 inches to the length of the bike. and add 16 inches to the 6 inch width of the rear of the bike. The rear of the bike will be under 24 inches wide but should be much much more stable. The problem might be in the clearance of the motor over the trailer wheel. I may have to push the trailer back, which would add a little more length to the bike. I don't think that would be a problem.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm gonna keep pushing for a trike project...
(stubborn!)
I really think it would be best for you.
...if you got one sharp turn in your scenario, maybe it could be articulated???
and maybe 20" wheels front and rear??? that would cut down on length, AND keep you lower to the ground for better center of gravity and tippy control???

:)
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
it is a twenty inch bike already.... it will have 16" trailer wheels. It's plenty low, I think lol. I will let you know how it goes. yes each attachement to the bike will be moving to allow the trailer to swing a couple of inches in either direction which should be more than enough. I don't see how it can lift enough to turn over. I might fall off it lol.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I's just thinkin one a them recliner type seats like on the bent bikes would be real comfy and also stable if used in a tadpole design. could even use a suspension rear with selectable gas or electric power friction drive.
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
lol I could also just put four wheels and a motor on the recliner and not bother with the bike thing at all lol. I know you are serious, it just struck me funny.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
last night I went off the drugs completely overnight to see if my mind would clear up again and it did. I had af few hours of clear thinking until the drugs kicked in again and the pain stopped. So I worked out the details for the stabilizer in my head.

I have a 12.5 inch wheel trailer made from that channel with the pre drilled holes in it. I did that to keep the weight down since it was my plan to use it on the Ebike. So now I am going to use it for the stabilizer on the wasp.

I am going to cut the center pieces off to give me those two rectangular boxes with a wheel in each. Then I am going to weld on a hanger for the front so that I can hang it from the rear axle. Then I am going to the back just behind the bike wheel and use a threaded rod to make the adjustment to square the stabilizer up. That's all it will take to make the stabilizer work. How well it works remains to be seen.

The broken ribs are a little too painful to do the work just yet, but maybe in a week or so.