Harbor Freight 2.5 Chopper(In The Works)

GoldenMotor.com

ChainDriver

Jul 22, 2009
Long Beach MS
Now that i think about it, im not going to have any brakes if i lower the rear tire... is there a way to fit disk brakes on this bike? I would prefer to have them on the front, but any brakes are better than none, especially with an engine this size! .bf.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
With all the stuff that usually goes on the back wheel, you will only be able to put a disc brake on the front. However, your fork has to have mounting holes for it, unless you can mod it to have mounting holes.

SouthCountyChoppers

May 30, 2011
Annapolis, MD
As far as front brakes go, for motorized builds I recommend disc brakes. I bought a Nirve Chopper Fork: Nirve Switchblade Double Crown Chopper Fork [Nirve Switchblade Double Crown F] - $99.99 : Chubby's Cruisers, Stretch Cruisers : Los Angeles Beach Cruisers : Beach Cruiser Bicycle And Bikes : ChubbysCruisers.com for $100 and switched out the threaded headset to a threadless headset. The Schwinn OCC Stingray has a threaded 1-1/8" headset, therefore you need to get a threadless 1-1/8 to replace it. Have someone with the tools install it or go to your local bike shop and have them put it on. Now you'll have a really strong fork with disc brake mounts. Then you just need to by a disc brake kit for the front fork.

I also bought the Manic Mechanic OCC Hub Adaptor it works great.

As far as parts for your build I like the following websites:

Go Kart Galaxy- Go Kart Parts and Minibike Parts at Discount Prices
Cycles U.S. Homepage - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.
.trk

ChainDriver

Jul 22, 2009
Long Beach MS
Update alert!@!!

I got the wheel lowering plates on the back today and got some of my parts in!! Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to fit and weld the motor mount, and then i'm just waiting on the 10t sprocket and my drivetrain will be done! Its coming along nicely! What color should i paint it when im done? Im thinking black frame and blue highlights to match the engine.. or i could paint the engine.. idk..

ChainDriver

Jul 22, 2009
Long Beach MS
Alright so now im thinking i should just buy a jackshaft because it would be much easier to set up and the bearings should last a lot longer than my crappy bike bearings. Ive been looking at this one: AZ1824-14 - Complete Jackshaft Kit 3/4" x 14" And they also have a hub and sprocket on their site that will allow me to use a 54t or 60t sprocket on the engine side of the jackshaft , which would let me keep my rear freewheel sprocket. Are the bearings in this jackshaft any good or will i need new ones?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Those are low speed wheelbarrow bearings. You can buy sealed bearings with a snap ring in one edge to replace them.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Have you considered using the backplate and jackshaft from a Comet drive without the Comet torque converter sheaves? Bout 65 bucks and even comes with a belt guard.

ChainDriver

Jul 22, 2009
Long Beach MS
If this is the one you are thinking of, Torque Converter Backplate & Jackshaft (400825), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips
then yes, I have considered using this , but as i currently have a place to buy a 54t sprocket for a 3/4" shaft I am taking that route as it will allow me to keep my original rear sprocket, which would be a point of concern if replaced with something larger that would hurt the spokes.