Have chain saw need help

GoldenMotor.com

mooflaghero

May 27, 2011
Tennessee
I dont understand how friction drive really works can some give me a quick over view of how it works. I wanted to use gears whats the difference in doing the friction drive. Does the wheel have to be off the ground to start the engine. and can i use the clutch that is in chainsaw.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Classical friction drive works with a roller on the tire either driven directly from the engines crankshaft(most common) to some form of primary drive to the roller, In all cases a roller is involved. The crankshaft drive roller is as simple a drive that exists for a bike(excluding maybe jets or rockets). When you mention gearing, if you are referring to using the bikes gearset, the thats another whole drive system. Most FDs operate in the low to mid 20mph range, though it has been shown by members here that with the right engine/roller combo can reach 40+. I have chain and belt drive bikes for that speed range. I pefer to ease along on my FDs in the mid 20s. In any case I like em!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Tell you what. I have a small chainsaw motor on the way from ebay. If you want you can watch my thread and learn what NOT TO DO. It should be good for a laugh at least.