Asking for help in thwarting thieves:

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This may have less to do with motorbikes and more to do with cars, but I know some motorbikes do have catalytic converters, albeit small ones, so the risk is there: here in Indy we are having a dramatic rise in the theft of catalytic converters, of all kinds.

I am told this is how it is done: the thieves use a pickup truck with an air compressor and an air-driven reciprocating saw, most probably with a tungsten-carbide hacksaw blade. This method has been found to work so fast it's frightening. The thieves cruise parking lots, hack off a converter before anybody knows what's what, then leave as quick as they came. They probably sell it later as a used part or for scrap.

This is currently the best coping method most people have come up with so far: to build a steel wire cage around the converter. This only slows the thieves down and it doesn't slow them down much. I want to invent a better plan.

I have the blood of inventors in my family, and I myself am always looking for better ways to do things. My first thoughts were "What could we use to bind the saw?" I thought about something like roofing tar on the far side of the pipe where the thief might cut through and get stiff tar on the blade. But these saws are über-powerful. I don't know if tar would be enough. Magnesium tape, for that "surprise" factor? Or would it be financially workable to case harden a steel sleave for the pipe?

Has anybody here been sawing through a steel pipe and hit an impasse that really, majorly slowed them down? Maybe even stopped them? I want to know how it came about, please.

Any other ideas of your own? Care to elaborate on mine with your experience or wisdom? Please do. I wish to combine my love of inventing with my loathing of thieves. The amount of stolen catalytic converters is already alarming, and growing very, very costly for our motorists in Indy to cope with. I ask anyone who reads this, if they have anything at all to contribute, help me in developing a better-working plan of action to take a bite out of crime. Thanks all.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Well I can only help in a negative way. Anything that is flammable cannot be used on an exhaust pipe. Unless you want to make a big bonfire. WE have the same problem to a lesser extent here with thieves cutting the cats off. I hope you can come up with a solution.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I know it's off topic a bit but I've got to ask, why on earth are they stealing used catalytic converters? Sure they're expensive, but I would think the only people who buy them are doing so to keep their cars legal. So buying a used, likely stolen, converter would seem contrary to that. So what's the motivation?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
They contain precious metals, like platinum and palladium. New catalytic converters are pretty expensive. Theft is a big problem out here, as well.

Edit: they also contain rhodium..according to wikipedia, rhodium was $2250 per ounce last year!

viccole

May 6, 2011
michigan
rap it in chicken wire fense. it will make it nearly impossible to cut with a sawzaw. (a grinder would have no trouble though).... but the chicken wire would just slide back and forth making it impossible to cut with a sawzaw. maybe it wouldn't stop them but it would definatly take longer and if there is another car around they would probably just switch to save time. idk that all i can think of now.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go to the root of the problem. Law makers are always wanting to pass new laws; why not outlaw the purchasing of used converters. The scrap dealers who buy them are the ones who are cultivating this particular crime. Come down hard on them.
Certain metals, brass, copper etc. are in big demand right now which is responsible for the increase in theft. Irrigation back-flow preventers are a big target because they're made of brass and easily stolen. Who's buying them? Scrap metal dealers. Make it illegal to purchase used catalytic converters. If they can't sell them, they won't steal them.
Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Scrap dealers here take your drivers licence and photocopy it to the form they use for payouts. They do this because of state law.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Scrap dealers here take your drivers licence and photocopy it to the form they use for payouts. They do this because of state law.
As it should be everywhere, Dave. Nevertheless, once the scrap is in their yard, who's going to come looking for it and identify it as stolen metal? The cops don't have the time or money anymore to pursue those kinds of crime. It would take a special crime unit (The Cat Cops?) to check every scrap yard looking for piles of converters. We all know that just ain't gonna happen.
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Small wire along header pipe when cut activates solenoid valve in tire stems.

Tires flatten pinning thief under car.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Small wire along header pipe when cut activates solenoid valve in tire stems.

Tires flatten pinning thief under car.
also potentially crushing and killing him.

while i don't think he should be under there i wouldn't risk killing someone for a couple hundred bucks, my life outside of jail is worth more then that to me.

on top of that if he gets hurt he'd probably find a way to sue you. totally bull crap, but that's the society we live in, i know it sounds absurd but people get sued by criminals they hurt while they were committing a crime all the time.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
As it should be everywhere, Dave. Nevertheless, once the scrap is in their yard, who's going to come looking for it and identify it as stolen metal? The cops don't have the time or money anymore to pursue those kinds of crime. It would take a special crime unit (The Cat Cops?) to check every scrap yard looking for piles of converters. We all know that just ain't gonna happen.
Tom
...you've never been to Idaho, have you? There's saying here,"come on vacation, leave on probation." It's not a joke. There are detectives here who's job it is to go over pawn shop and scrapyard reports. If one person sells enough "scrap" catcons a flag goes up and your under investigation. Same with copper.

Every once in a while you can read of arrests of catcon and copper thieves being booked for their thefts. Most of them seen to have the same "I do too much crank" look about them :p

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
They take your dl with photo here also. Does not stop theft just another reg to comply with. Thieves have stolen the same telephone cable 8 times.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You've all given me some great ideas. I think I may indeed pursue legislation along the lines of restrictions and regulations regarding sale of scrap/used cats. But I am also looking into the viability of some form of sandpaper which uses a kind of grit that is harder than your usual garnet paper or flint. Something that is just hard enough to dull the saw. You could roll it up in a very tight roll, cover it in some kind of resin like they use in muffler patches, and sorta hide it behind on the far side of the pipe. That in addition to other methods like chicken wire cages should help people hang on to their cat. Maybe if I develope an overall working combination, I could get word out on a Catalytic Converter Retention/Anti-Theft service. Right now it may be just a pipe dream, but wish me luck. I want to pursue this.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Come on vacation, leave on probation, we'll bring you back on extradation.

Don't worry about anyone stealing your exhaust though, the catalytic exhausts that are sold commonly with these bikes are palladium inserts. When thieves steal catalytic converters off vehicles, they're doing it for the titanium.

Though, if you're worried about it, you can get an expansion chamber which appears obviously to not have any inserts.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
rap it in chicken wire fense. it will make it nearly impossible to cut with a sawzaw. (a grinder would have no trouble though).... but the chicken wire would just slide back and forth making it impossible to cut with a sawzaw. maybe it wouldn't stop them but it would definatly take longer and if there is another car around they would probably just switch to save time. idk that all i can think of now.
I agree . One method is to wrap the object with a semi loose cable net . There will be too much movement for the saw teeth to grab and cut . The saw teeth just go along for the ride and can not grab . This works best under an outer skin but the pipe and converter would need to be open to cool properly . The idea comes from prison bars that are hollow with a cable running trough the center that moves with the saw and is very hard to cut through . .... ,D.J.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
The chicken wire idea got me thinking.

Have you ever tried to sawzall through the metal lathe that was used in plaster
walls before sheetrock was put into use?

That stuff is gnarly and dances around like crazy when you try to cut through it, especially if it is not tightly held in place.

Worse yet is it's tendency to rust and cut you up really badly trying to handle it.
I hate the stuff but it's perfect for this.
TiM

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH

That stuff is gnarly and dances around like crazy when you try to cut through it, especially if it is not tightly held in place.

Worse yet is it's tendency to rust and cut you up really badly trying to handle it.
TiM
i went through 3 fresh sawzall metal cutting blades in a matter of minutes cutting through that stuff to mount up a 55" lcd tv. very mean stuff.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

TiM
It does sound like a good material for a cat cage. Some thieves are apparently expecting chicken wire these days and carry a small set of wire cutters with them. Like I say, it slows them down but not by much. This stuff though, that might do the trick. Follow it up with something stuck to the pipe itself - and maybe they'll have the good sense to leave the cat alone and take off before the owner returns. (We can hope, can't we.)

Now all I need to do is pick up some parts and materials and do some testing. BUT: keep the ideas coming! Remember, if we can make something that's easy and workable, it may be YOUR cat we save.