Please drool on my panther

GoldenMotor.com

blackpanther

May 15, 2011
Noath Kakalak
Phase III putting it on

Here's the naked frame. Bike only at this point minus the throttle grip and ugly POS fuel tank. (the final Mod 6 will have a REAL fuel tank.)

Rode it around for a couple of days to get the necessary tactile feedback to understand the force needed to climb the hills around my place. I wanted a real idea of how my engine would perform in relation to how hard i had to pump the cranks, and in what gear. Efficiency dear brothers.

Once i was satisfied with the sprockets and such under human power, and i had troubleshooted the wheel and hub, it was mounting time.

The four mounting points with the shift kit are incredibly sturdy. I have an aluminum alloy frame, which is crimpable so i fabbed out some surface area increasing aluminum shims. Tin snips, plus the thinnest gauge aluminum sheet metal available at the hardware store and voila shims! Under each shim is also a pad of inner tube cut to size. Under pressure these mounts will not budge or pull! (as long as you wash out the powder lube inside the tube first)

Sanded all the rough edges on my shims down. (made sure the shim did not overlap the mouth of the clamps at all) Dry fitted them once everything was loosely fitted. *if you use the SBP shift kit tighten down the bottom chain adjuster bracket first thing because you will not be able to access the bolts easily after engine installation. Pushed up on the chain adjuster elevator until the drive chain was taught, and locked in all down. Hasn't moved a mm since.

The SBP HD metal throttle assembly is worth every penny. Solid, intuitive, smooth action (just like your mother trebek). well made all around, proud to have it on my bike.
Left side handle bars contain clutch handle and thumb shifter specifically indexed for SA's 5 speeds and a Cateye Racing bar end rear mirror.
Right Side is loaded with the bar end concealed kill switch, choke, throttle, and double brake pull handle.

Also featured is the new giant air filter. I admit i got it for looks alone. it has also taken some carb retuning after installation but it sounds nice and throaty and garbles up air like an angry panther should.

Oh yeah and check out those suave Serfas Drifters 26-2.0 tires. Suck the road like a flailing octopus, amazing traction, silent riding.

Attachments

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
flailing octopus lol :D My one last suggestion, if you want one, is to get some ape hangers for that bike, but even if you don't it sure looks sharp :D Good job :) I hope you enjoy the shift kit

blackpanther

May 15, 2011
Noath Kakalak
Finished Mod-5 "Panzer Faust" and I am exctatic!

Got the old CNS retuned after adding the new air filter and jack shaft n such. Anyone who doesn't know how to tune these weird little bastards should ask me because I know a few secrets. I was running dangerously lean on the first couple of test drives. I mean like white hot plug chops, and super over heating. I had the Gas-oil at 32:1 at first because I was skeptical about 50:1. I switched to 50:1 and that helped a bit, but there was still way to much air coming in...So I completely dismantled the engine and carb to poke around and see how things were going. It was about 800 or so miles on this particular grubee, and i was curious anyhow.

The poor piston looked like it was just about to burn a hole in a nice little black charred circle below the plug terminal. I cleaned it all real nice, and upon reassemble the two seals on the piston crumbled. I couldnt help but laugh. Their metal looked like that cheap chinese crumble cake. Luckily I have two other scrap motors that i swapped out parts on.

But it gets better, upon further reassemlby, I noticed the ports on the jug were cracked...and they sheared right off with a wiggle. GOT TO BE EXPLETIVING KIDDING ME!

Anyhow, I swapped out the jug....and now were back on two wheels. Anyhow, the carb also had a pretty serious air leak and I siliconed its seals and ive been burning nice and chocolate on the plugs ever since.

the 5 speed Sturmey hub is a champ...I totally recommend it over any other hub, especially over the nuvinci boil overs.

Here's some pics. Top Speed, (cruising speed in 5th) is 37mph. There is no way to push any harder in my opinion 37mph is terminal velocity due to wind resistance and power max output. I could pull a little harder on the throttle but i dont want a grenading hot metal explosion between my legs.

running Bel Ray MC-1 Synthetic 2 stroke motorcycle oil at 50-1 and working saweeeeet.

Attachments