Full suspension Mongoose HF Greyhound build

GoldenMotor.com

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Hi, I did a rear rack full suspension mountain bike build with belt drive. I wanted more than one ratio. For those of you who are interested The build is done already aside from improveing and / or tweaking it. I wanted an HF slant cylinder Greyhound powerplant. This way I wouldn't be married to any small underground bicycle motor company for parts and/or replacement. Its a nation wide company that would be more likely to have my relitively inexpesive motor in stock at most times. I wanted an industrial clutch that I could get and replace in almost any sizeable town. I wanted belt drive for maintenance free greaseless/oilless very quiet running. Its Very tough and will last and not need fooled with every ten miles. I wanted rear rack mount so the motor wouldn't be between my legs.cvlt1

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
It has that brushed aluminum look. It is not a painted bike. It is a D50i with RST 281 R fork (stock stuff I believe). Might be kinda old. I have pics of all stages of the build. The problem I have found is this site only accepts up to 1.91 megabytes, almost all my pics where taken in Hi Def and are at least 5 megabytes. If you know a way, tell me.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
I posted pics on the other site under Rack mount catagory. Its called Rear rack greyhound mountainbike or something almost exactly like that. It has the whole build.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
try posting the image to imageshack.com then link to it. or photo bucket. or link to where they are with a copy of the url pasted into the link function here

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
BTW Guys, Thanks for the photo suggestions as far as the way to get photos up here. My technically challenged butt didn't even think of the solution ! Again thanks. This machine might not look like a great idea but it is the smoothest MB anybody that rides it has ever ridden. I have built three MBs now of different types. One 45 mph friction drive, One chain driven HT vintage themed China girl. Now I've gone belt driven with fairly correct ratios for motorbiking plus 4 stroke I'll never go back to the other drive types. Its just to sweet. No oil or grease slinging everywhere, No stretched/worn out chain or sprockets, and last but not least, NO NOISE or Maintenence of the drive train. belt driven goes so well with 4 stroke power because the slieght slippage of the belt drive smooths out the torquey , pulsey power of the 4 stroke type engine. I think I'm gonna like this !

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Very nice job here 4950,

I just bought 2 of the HF engines last week and have ben thinking about all the possiblities for them and trying to figure out which bike to put one on, I also had planned on going with a belt drive, for it's smoothness, quiteness and low mait.

The high and low drive ratio idea is great...... Thaks for the great pics this has got me thinking on what you did here......

Peace

Lets try this. I went to photobucket and opened an account and posted some MB pics. They are at Pictures by Patriotrights - Photobucket

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
looks liek he has a tensioner that will allow him to stop the engine and just move the belt to the next range by hand , start it back up and take off in a different ratio.

I could be wrong here but that is the way it looks to me from the pics.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
First, Mapbike, If I were you I'd go for it. It has turned out to work great and as you have said (if done halfway right) is almost trouble free. And QUIET ! I'll never go back. silverbear, I'm going to a 7 1/4 '' primary pulley (on jackshaft) from an 8". Geared a little to low in high range. Probably 35 mph or so right now. Nothing wrong with that on a bicycle, But want it running a bit more relaxed at that speed. Right now the HF is a bit to busy at 35-38 or so. BTW, I stop and shift right now with my hand. Believe it or not its quick and easy. Just derail the pulley you are on for the other. V-belt Pulleys seem to like to stay on track as long as you have a little tension on the belt. Motor will pull off the line with minor belt slippage in either ratio. But I do have a shifter designed for the near future. And you were correct exept for haveing to turn the engine off. Just stop, leave er running and derail the belt Mapbike.

Last edited:

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
For those that want a utube of it in action or something along those lines, My tech advisor /girlfriend and I will be getting a video together as soon as the smoke clears with all this out of state company that has been burageing us for what seems two months now. Oh, the whoes of living in FL. Oh, Mapbike, I love the quote at the base of your posts. Oh, how true !

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That wil be great....... I would really enjoy seeing a vid of it in action myself and I'm sure many others here would too.

Yep if more people would think about this before they vote their pocket book & for special interest bills in all the elections and vote for founding principals that are proven to provide freedom instead of taking it away like entitlement programs do..... we wouldn't be in the mess we are now IMHO......

Peace

For those that want a utube of it in action or something along those lines, My tech advisor /girlfriend and I will be getting a video together as soon as the smoke clears with all this out of state company that has been burageing us for what seems two months now. Oh, the whoes of living in FL. Oh, Mapbike, I love the quote at the base of your posts. Oh, how true !

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Prob. a couple more days before I can come up with a vid. Please be a little patient for those who are interested. I will give a low gear rough terrain, and a high gear road example.