98cc V twin

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's something that I found at the LB swap meet last weekend... It's a 98cc V twin with (i think?) a 4-speed trans!!
The guy was selling it for $100.
This would be super kewl in a strech cruiser!!! (^)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
that is gonna be a really cool build, but i think it would make the ultimate board track build, maybe use one of pats custom frames and tanks?

if it would fit of course....

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Methinks it a posuer. Front pipe looks like it's been hot, back one not, and unless there is another carb............carb intake is right up against the back barrel. Neet looking though.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yup.....look at the cooling fins on the air cleaner housing (I mean rear cylinder), they look quite a bit different. Looks like a Mikuni carb, although it's prolly a knock-off. Looks like the ol' Honda 90 crank case, another knock-off again....but it does look cool though, doughnut? dnut

Is that really an electric starter up front there? Or is it a toolkit holder?
Is it even really a 4-stroke?

Hin
My Thoughts exactly the rear is a dummy maybe a big airbox
Flex

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
Commond you new exactly what you had a single...........it definetly looks great
I like it...........Flex.....By the way I would love to ride with you guys hope I can keep up...
I live in woodland Hills by mullhulland and Topanga I am right there..I could ride over topanga then up pch to meet you guys unless you know of a safer route........

Last edited:

russcopico

Oct 12, 2011
Maui, Hawaii
I wanted to see if you have done anything with that 98cc motor, if not would you consider selling it? I have been looking for a motor like that to finish my mini chopper for some time now and have not been so lucky to find one. If you would consider selling it I would make you an offer of $200.00 as you could double your money,if it runs. If not have you located a manufacture name yet.

Mahalo

Russ

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Fake rear cyl is neither here nor their. Its 96cc and had a four speed! Id really like to know who made this so I can start scouring CL and the bay for one. EDIT : I'll Give ya $201 laff

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Your unquestioned purchase and the initial reactions to it underscore the desire everyone has for a small, reliable 4-stroke V-Twin. I have a real jones for one and I think lots of others here do as well.

50cc is the current legal limit for moped engines here in Ohio, but I think I'm going to buy one of the HF 99cc engines and start with it. Anyone know a good source for 50cc stickers or decals ?

MHF

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I really wish someone would design a 4 stroke narrow bank angle v-twin of the appropriate size to motorize a bicycle. 45 degrees is standard HD, but anywhere between 40 and 55 degrees should be narrow enough to fit well. Might as well make it 49cc so it would be legal as well. An oversquare design would give the best torque. 25mm bore X 50mm stroke = 49.1cc. I would guess the rev limit would be around 6000 RPM.

Perhaps if we made this thread a pole to see how much interest there is for such a powerplant, someone with the means and or connections would take note and make it available.

Who amoung us would buy a torquey 4-stroke v-twin of 49cc to power a bicycle, and how much would you be willing to pay ?

MHF

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I really wish someone would design a 4 stroke narrow bank angle v-twin of the appropriate size to motorize a bicycle. 45 degrees is standard HD, but anywhere between 40 and 55 degrees should be narrow enough to fit well. Might as well make it 49cc so it would be legal as well. An oversquare design would give the best torque. 25mm bore X 50mm stroke = 49.1cc. I would guess the rev limit would be around 6000 RPM.

Perhaps if we made this thread a pole to see how much interest there is for such a powerplant, someone with the means and or connections would take note and make it available.

Who amoung us would buy a torquey 4-stroke v-twin of 49cc to power a bicycle, and how much would you be willing to pay ?

MHF
100 bux if it's made in China....that's all I paid for a 212cc Predator from HF.

dnut

jschatte

Dec 19, 2010
Saskatchewan

MHF
The un photoshopped version of this motor (48cc horizontal piston honda) is torquey enough in my opinion. I see no need for a v twin to boost power. I have it in a mtb frame and it can do a wheelie in second gear if you arent careful with the throttle. And that is with 12:36 gearing. Not to mention with two cylinders the pistons would be the size of thimbles :p

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I guess no one appreciates the v-twin look and sound enough to abandon cheap single cylinder engines. I must over estimate the interest I see popping up on this and other forums.

It usually goes something like this.....someone "finds" a previously unknown small v-twin, everyone rushes to find out about it then realizes...

A. you either have to build it from scratch

B. it's way too small (RC airplane)

C. it's got a dummy second cylinder

D. it's a new design that someone's working on and "more information will be released after we do more testing".

BTW, I don't know about anyone else, but I've got pretty big hands and a 1 inch thimble would be way too big for me. Also, I wouldn't decide not to buy a small v-twin if it was bigger than 49cc. I think someone mentioned 212cc ?

MHF