Sportsman WZ Flyer Whizzer power

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I have been busy lately with designing, CAD drawing and getting my hands dirty in the shop. I had been encouraged by a few people around here to branch out into stretch and loop style BTR frames and then make the matching tanks. I said I would do it if five people would step forward and agree to a small production run to help cover the design and engineering costs. Me and my big mouth. Two days later I had five people. Doug came forward first, then Jeff, then others. Crazyhorse offered plenty of encouragement. Doug713 and I had already been talking about a Whizzer engine in a Panther and he asked if I could squeeze a Whizzer into a Worksman frame. I told him not unless we stretch the frame. So Doug then sent me a Quenton built Whizzer engine, a nice set of the aluminum Worksman wheels, I had a frame, and the project was started. I now have the first rolling example, a BTR kit, about to be shipped out to Doug for all the tedious finish work. This same frame also carries the Morini S6S nicely and I have engine mounts for both. One more person that has been involved in this project every step of the way is my brother Rich, Itchybird around here. He has reviewed all the drawings, redesigned various areas and caught a few mistakes. He also has a running Morini powered Sportsman Flyer Racer model. Anyway, here are some of the first pictures of the Sportsman Flyer WZ model. By the way "WZ" was a Schwinn frame designation used on some of their frames designed specifically for the Whizzer engine. I hope they don't mind if I borrowed it.

Specification:
Sportsman Flyer "WZ" BTR frame Assembly Serial number: SFWZ001X
Sportsman Flyer 4" stretch stainless steel gas tank
Sportsman Flyer stainless oil tank/tool box (to hide electronics)
Sportsman Flyer BTR style handlebars
Sportsman Flyer BTR seat assembly that still needs to be leather covered
Reinforced rewelded and machined Monark springer fork
Whizzer NE5 engine by Quenton
WZ headbadge by Terry
Worksman aluminum rims with stainless spokes and front drum
Graphics and website design by J Docherty

Sportsman WZ Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey Pat,

Do you think Doug would notice if we shipped him the Morini version instead? I love my Morini Flyer, but I'd sure like to spend a little time in the saddle with a hotrodded Whizzer motor. The morini is a fantastic little motor, but the Whizzer versions just look cooler.

Regardless of the motor, the chassis is very nice, very stable at speed. The seats we're using are very comfortable, much better than the bike saddles. I was really pleased to find the rigid saddles are quite comfy. Most all the riding we do is smooth road and with a good springer up front, the ride does not suffer at all.

The long wheelbase is nice upgrade for us six footers -they handle great. These bikes get noticed too, I've had people follow me home from rides and I even got stopped once by a cub scout troup who thought it looked amazing. The first question everyone asks is 'how old is it?'

Doug -you are going to be more than happy with your new ride.

red baron

Dec 3, 2010
California
That is the most beautiful bike I have seen,i have fallen in love with a pictire of an Iver-Johnson from 1914 and I would like to come as close as possible to an I J design. Where did you get that gas tank? That is exactly what I need, it is possibly home made? I am going to Taiwan to do some business and plan to check out some places that sell or manufacture stuff Bike related. You have a magic touch.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Red Baron,
Per the specification list above all the Sportsman Flyer parts are made by me in my shop. Made in the USA right here in Gilroy California.

red baron

Dec 3, 2010
California
Very inspirational photos I will keep this page to "build a fire" under me when I get lazy and frustrated. Yes,green with envy here but nice job you did.

marineabilly

Nov 30, 2010
SoCal
Pat, I'm here in Afghanistan where Wi-Fi internet connectivity might as well not exist as I can never log on and, on my office computer, can only log on to unnoficial websites after 8:00pm. When I log onto this site photos don't appear; however, I can see everything on your blog. I know you're extremely busy, but can we expect an update on your blog anytime soon?

Cheers!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Allen Wrench and Red Baron,
I have found myself as a person with a unique set of skills that can be applied to a cool hobby so I feel fortunate in that respect. Very fortunate.

Marineabilly,
Wow, Afganistan! Amazing and thank you for what your doing over there. What's a blog? I work on computers every day but am a total computer spaz. Email me and I'll send you a bunch of pictures later today.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
FYI, what are Blog's?

Definition of a Blog

A blog is a weblog or, in other words, an online diary or journal that is open for the public to view and comment on, a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page. It is a public space online where the author posts writings of any kind which are listed in backwards-chronological order. There are millions of blogs to date and new ones are created everyday, mostly using some kind of blog format service like Typepad or Blogger. They can cover politics, health, entertainment, personal lives or any topic under the sun. === ===
An example of a free blogging service is the wordpress website
Standard features are :
1. Posts
2. Categories/tags
3. Mail notification (subscription) or RSS subscription
4. Search
5. Comments
6. Widgets A "Blog" is short for "Web Log" i.e. a log being some form of written record.

Thus a Blog, is someone's way of recording something online, though the content has no set rules - they can be personal, academic, technical or political and much more besides! Blogs stands for WEB LOG. A diary updated by blogger online. Where he can share anything of his interest

A blog (a contraction of the term "web log") is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. {"Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.}
Blog (short form for Web Logs) is a free service which enables you to write your content about your daily needs and daily events or about something which you like to share with other people.

Blog is also called a mini website because you can add lots of content to it and etc.

Here's the SportsmanFlyer Blog Spot it is in url uptop of your screen wwwsportsmanflyerblogspotcom see LINK below:
Sportsman Flyer: Racer Deluxe

Hope this clears things up for those of us who don't know what a blog spot is.

Peace Crazy Horse..shft.

marineabilly

Nov 30, 2010
SoCal
I'm new here and thought Sportcarpat was being facetious about not knowing about a blog is, so I responded i the same manner.

I do, in fact, know what a blog is as I have my own

Crazy Horse, I hope you didn't go through too much trouble...great info, though.

Cheers!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here are a couple pictures from today showing a stock pipe which may or may not be used, the pedal crank, and the primary belt guard. I still want to just take a hacksaw or cut-off wheel to the pipe and cut it back till it's about 10" long. I have seen too many youtube videos of original BTR's and now think they all need to be loud as heck and blow flames out the end of the pipe. I am sure sanity will win out and I'll keep a full pipe.

DSC05875 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

DSC05867 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited: