Another B&S bike

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I only have one set left that's suitable for a bicycle frame. They're pretty heavy and clunky looking, but with a little trimming and paint they would look totally respectable. Let me know if your interested and I'll come up with a good deal for you. I also just got off ebay and there are a dozen or so moped forks on right now.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
OH, $25 plus shipping would be good for me. It weighs almost ten pounds. If you want them, send me a private message with your address and I'll get a total for you. That way we won't clog up the forum with our deal.

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Hey, that's outrageous! From the trimmed down flywheel fins, (looks like the lightweight aluminum one from vert. shaft mowers) to the intricate belt slipper clutch design, or even the old updraft carb w/custom manifold, that one is cool. I love the old stuff - that vintage carb, for instance - is cool. I only built two custom motor ones. When I was a kid, I put togther a quick B&S H shaft one using no jack shaft & a rather primitive belt clutch. It was a mini chopper built out of electrical conduit. (ground down the zinc before welding) I had alot of fun on that thing. The other was a couple of years ago. I took a 16" girls frame, adapted a small block chevy drive pulley to the bike crank, flipped the front & rear stock sprockets, (big in back, little in front) used an Echo weed eater motor & clutch.(23cc I think) Just pulled the long arm off and adapted a small pulley to the Echo using the entire stock case. The thing, although small in size & no more cranks & pedals, ran like ****, & I eventually sold it for $100.00. Anyway this is getting to long. But thats a cool B&S for sure.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks, Mike. I'd love to see photos of your old builds. I like most things that are different form the norm. The flywheel is cast iron and revs pretty fast. I wouldn't mind adding the weight back onto it to smooth it out a bit. But it's a blast to ride. I go to the beach and a lot of other places on my Briggs bikes. That's the stock carb without the top elbow bolted on. I have two other bikes in the works. I just posted photos of my next custom bike.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have a pile of those engines in the shop. I saw a pic of one of your bikes at a meet held at Eldorado park a while back, it was the first one I had seen that was done proper. 20 years ago on a build you have the fever bad after all these years. LOL looking forward to your new build. I used to work at the Eldo park shop. I think I have at least rebuilt 500 of those engines over the years. I think the last time I counted engines in the garage it was well over 50. I haven't the ability to put them out, I just remember all the fun I had as a kid. My first time propelled by any petrol engine was a B&S. Have fun, Dave

PS: I have some old Kohler engines I think would look cool also. Let me know if you need anything old B&S I have piles of NOS parts.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks, Dave. That's a great offer. I'll keep you on file for parts and info. I have a few Kohler engines too and they're built so heavy, I never considered using one. Probably work well on a low loop frame in an upright position. That heavy Kohler flywheel would probably idle forever. Now that everyone knows where all the motors are, you may be making some sales. Make them ask for their "forum discount".

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
That is true about the weight, I do have one that is newer and Aluminum, it is cool the bottom mount comes off. I am looking for a hunk of aluminum the size for a flywheel to make a wheel like the Whizzer for the left side of the Briggs, with integral pulley and cut the crank off on the right. Mine all have points so I could use them with total loss ignition, like back in the day. I was thinking that if I used a battery from a Dewalt drill it would last for a month and be easy to charge. Installed in a can to look like an old batt. Have fun, Dave

Thanks, Dave. That's a great offer. I'll keep you on file for parts and info. I have a few Kohler engines too and they're built so heavy, I never considered using one. Probably work well on a low loop frame in an upright position. That heavy Kohler flywheel would probably idle forever. Now that everyone knows where all the motors are, you may be making some sales. Make them ask for their "forum discount".

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You been hangin' out at the Vista Gas Engine Museum or what? That's some old technology. I like it! Could even use a buzz coil off a Model T Ford. I have a box of Whizzer flywheels in questionable condition. Maybe you could make a center hub to bolt into one of them. You could even use the magnets in the flywheel to excite a coil on the left side. I always wanted to mount a magneto coil on a pivot so I could change the timing with a lever to suit my needs. My Whizzer flywheels are pot metal and heavier than aluminum. Probably a good idea to have some weight.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I think someone on this forum has made pulleys from bicycle rims. Have to search. If you use a flat leather or even an automotive serpentine belt, you could run it on a regular flat rim, once you mount it onto your rear wheel. Whizzer pulleys are 15" outside diameter. You may be able to check industrial supplies and find a single 1/2" belt aluminum one and cut the spokes and center out of it. If you make one, we want to see photos. Are you wanting to make your own pulley because of the limited availability from Whizzer?

thefruitgnome

Dec 20, 2008
UK
Yeah thats right. I live in the UK so whizzer parts are very rare. I have seen those plans, but if i can help it id rather not modify the frame. I was thinking of trying somthing like what the old Harley Davidsons had, using brakets instead of trying to bolt to the spokes. And yeah shure, ill post some pictures as i go along.

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
You might be able to take a weightlifting weight (disk) and either attach it to the existing flywheel or make up a bushing with keyways and mount it on the shaft.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Msr - I was looking at the flywheel to the B&S Monster I think, It was one of there racing engines. They have the flywheel we need, but they want 150 for the thing, I can get at least 3 engines for that amount. LOL anyway I have two frames that I have to make bikes out of, but I want to make sure I have the perfect combo, they are old classic bikes and I should be restoring them and not putting engines on them but I have to. Have fun, Dave

PS Skylark that is not a bad idea, they have weights that are machined, I guess we would have to true them up but not a bad Idea! Got me thinking.

Parts link for flywheel.http://www.snydermotorsports.com/engine.htm

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Egor, that's not the flywheel I want. I need some weight so my bikes idle well at stops. That aluminum flywheel is for quick revving engines. The belts would tend to slip easier and engine impulses would be tiring after a while. I've tried light flywheel and the extra weight I use lets the engine start a lot easier, run a lot smoother and offers a more comfortable ride, which is very important to me, especially on a long haul. But, if you still want to test a light aluminum flywheel, some vertical shaft motors use them because on a rotary lawnmower, the blade is part of the rotating weight. You can probably get a used one cheap if you don't already have one in your pile. A quick revver would be fun for bar hoping or drag racing. All that said, I love all the ideas your entertaining, and the responses we're getting. Keep brainstorming.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I know what you are saying. OK the only other thing I was thinking of using, is the grinding disks, the large ones for the cut off saw. I was looking at them and they are rated for 8000 rpm's I was thinking that if you stacked them you could increase the weight to what you want. Painted they would look good. You would just have to make up a drive hub that would also have the pulley integrated. I do have a pile of the light flywheels, and they are crazy with no blade, engine just stalls if you try if get any torque. I think the one on the racing sight is a little heaver than one for the rotary it is hollow in back. Ill think of something that would not take a lot of machining. With yours, with the fins taken off it gets too light? Also the Honda small may have flywheel with the plastic fins, just leave them off! I have one in the pile I will look. Have fun, Dave

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
msrfan,
I've been thinking about your build ever since I first saw it, zeroing in on the use of a moped front fork. I want to try it and am wondering if that is a Puch on this build. And are the wheels you used 26" or are they 24"? Do most of the moped forks have enough room for a 26" bicycle wheel? What kind of modifications do you need to do to make it fit a 50's era Schwinn? I've been asking around, posted a thread asking for information and coming up short. Any thoughts on this would be a great help.
SB