Worksman + sidecar project

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Bought this thing the other night and am planing on restoring it, although a big part of me wants to leave it as it

All this thing really needs to make it a serviceable bike for it's intended purpose is a new paint job and a motor
But I am thinking that I want to do more

All mods will depend on available finances

Paint scheme will either be tan frame and fenders with a creme color on the placards and wheel wells
or
Red and black

Brakes
Need three, thinking about putting the front and rear on one lever and the sidecar brake on another
I plan on hooking them up like a tractor so that hitting the car brake would aid in right turns

I want to use one of the new sprocket to hub attachments instead of the rag joint also thinking of a dyno front hub

That front head light has to go, it just doesn't match at all
But I want full street legal lighting on it and maybe some accent lighting , so a battery will be needed especially since some small guitar amps will also be used on it

So far that's all I have thought of
Any suggestions would be appreciated and encouraged for this community input build

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If it were me I would put a motor on and ride it them make up your mind as you ride. Even if you have to put a front brake on it for now,change it as you go. Sounds like your undesided some anyway. I think it is a real cool bike just the way it is.

Reminds me of a kid when I was young. He was born with a impairment and could not ride a regular bike. So his family bought him one with a side car man that kid was everywere. Made me kind of want one ever sence. LOVE IT...........Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Curtis said, "Reminds me of a kid when I was young. He was born with a impairment and could not ride a regular bike. So his family bought him one with a side car man that kid was everywere."
Pretty cool that his folks did that for their boy. Sometimes I get down when I read the news and hear about all the crap going on in the world. But there are a lot of good people out there with good hearts. Your little story reminded me of that. Thanks.
SB
SB

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Would a simple 50cc two stroke be enough to haul two people weighing a total of about 350 pounds?

Would a four stroke be better? or larger engine?

I have a couple to 2 strokes laying around that I was thinking of just sticking in there to see how it rode

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Without modifying the frame all you're going to be able to fit in there is a two stroke and even that is a squeeze. With a sidecar I doubt very much you're going to be going real fast, so a simple solution is to use a larger driven sprocket on the rear wheel. That will give you more pulling power. Someone smarter than me can advise you on the tooth count. A shift kit is another option, but takes some money to make that happen. You could always start out with the motor you have and a larger rear sprocket which is inexpensive and will get you around. If your need for speed is great enough and you've sold one bazzilion cigar box guitars then you can go with a shift kit and the little 50cc will be just fine. I would suggest thinking about a wider one piece crank set so that you will have engine clearance even if you add a pull start kit, which I would do for sure.
So, upgrade with a bigger sprocket ($20.00? a pull start kit $30.00? and an extra wide crank set for another $35.00 or so). That's what I would suggest. I doubt you'll want to go faster than 25 maximum, and more like 20mph, so you can sacrifice top end for torque. I just ran my worksman for the first time today... a PK-80 from Pirate Cycle with an SBP expansion chamber and a 44 tooth driven sprocket... does that thing haul butt! Wow.
SB

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I have already tried an engine in a Worksman and yes it is a little challenging

20 is pretty much all I want out of it
I was considering a shift kit, but really do not understand much about them

From what I see a kit goes for starting around $144, that's only 2 basic guitars or one primo and I have 7 basic orders to fill this weekend

But you have given me another idea
I'll make this thing only from CBG proceeds

What about adding a concentric clutch, and what about upgraded hubs/drum rear brake

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Mybe start by takeing the rear end apart and give it a good cleaning. be carfull and watch how you take it apart a good coaster brake should skid the back wheel. Then maybe a front drum from Worksman?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A few thoughts...
If you have an extra wide crank then you also have room for a centrifugal clutch. I had a couple of these. I ran one for a year and loved it until the clutch stopped engaging with the motor and by then a part was worn inside the clutch assembly and I did a lot of struggling trying to get that fixed. I think eventually I would have. I also had bought a second one, having liked the first so much and bought it from the same seller, BGF. This one was a lemon from the start. with a number of problems but mostly that the clutch worked for a minute and quit engaging. I learned along the way some tips from Rockenstein which would have kept the first one from going bad in the first place. Others here, just a few, have automatic china girls and have had good luck with them. When they work, I like them. If they don't engage you can't go anywhere. I lost both engines in a fire, so never did get things resolved. If I were to do this again I would either research vendors (few offer an automatic) to see if one has a reputation for making things right and go with that. Rick is an OK guy at BGF, but his prices are low and so is the level of customer service. He does a high volume of sales and communication is sometimes poor. In his own way he did try to help make things more right, but replacing that second engine was never an option in his mind. A good vendor would have, especially from a repeat customer. I think instead, if I were you I would consider using an engine I already have, adding a pull start kit and an automatic clutch kit. That way you will always be able to return the motor to manual and will already have the parts for that. By assembling the automatic kit you'll have insight into how things work and can make sure things are right with it before you ever use it. If a vendor sells you a bad automatic kit, and is a good vendor, you can get resolution. Again, when mine worked, it was a charm. In your situation, with a bigger sprocket on the rear wheel it would be a winner.
20 mph is a good top speed I think for the bike with sidecar. You could always add gearing to it later and a number of smart folks on this forum are at this moment working on viable options and of course the SBP shift kit will always remain an attractive option which is proven to be a good setup.
If that is still a Worksman wheel on the back I would keep that coaster brake as it is and as Curtis suggested, just clean it up and grease the bearings. Take a look at the front fork where the fenders attach and see if a front caliper brake could go there. For awhile I had one on my Worksman from a BMX bike and it worked well enough and much better than no brake at all up there. A front drum brake is great, but means changing out that front wheel and if it is Worksman right now I'd consider leaving it if the caliper brake is an option. You are not going at high speed, so braking power in your case has more to do with the not so great extra weight of the sidecar and possibly much greater weight if a passenger is riding along. Where I would consider really beefing up the brake (this is if the wheels on the bike part are good wheels right now)... would be on the sidecar where making modifications would be simpler an that wheel looks more iffy. That looks like a full sized wheel, either 24" or 26" so if you could set that up with a drum brake or disc brake(those I know less about and have never had one) you could use a double pull brake lever and operate both sidecar and front wheel brake with one lever. I think you could do pretty well with that setup. I know others will say to have disc brakes on all the wheels, but I'm assuming you are on a budget, so I'm advising as I would do it myself, on a shoestring budget. Sometimes you can find used Worksman wheels on ebay and could always upgrade your front wheel later on.
So you could do this build in progressive stages, upgrading as you can afford it. From the start I would get an extra wide one piece pedal crank. Worksman sells different sized sprockets for the pedal side of the rear wheel, so you could make it easier to pedal when you wanted. Even with an automatic you may want to help out a bit by pedaling from a dead stop or going up a steep incline. A different sprocket on the rear wheel can make that an easier thing. A pull start kit. An offset intake manifold from Spooky Tooth so you have a bit more room for the engine (about ten bucks with shipping). And a bigger driven sprocket engine side of the rear wheel. Later add the automatic, the brake improvements,shift kit or whatever as you can afford it. Oh, and some kind of brake up front right away, even if just caliper. I think you can have a good rig that is a pleasure to look at and ride for not too much money. If you want to have an in frame motor, you pretty much have to go with the china girl as it is the only thing I know of which will fit without frame modifications. If you're O.K. with a rear rack mount engine then everything changes and you'll need to ask somebody else. I only know about in frame and not all that much about those.
Good luck.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Another thing to make more room for engine is change the down tube with one from a passthrough the has more curves. Even if you had to take it to a welder and have tiged.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
OK took it apart today

No time for pics but they can easily be added later

The side car is home made,
Made from bed rails and shopping cart handles

The bike is from the 70's
I can post the serial if anyone can date it that way
The hubs and bike itself is all original WM

Placards and wheel wells are aluminum and definitely home made

I'm thinking about using the side car on an old Murry or a WM wannabe that I was going to cut up for a board track bike and using this bike for my board tracker project

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sure, explore your options. The sidecar on another bike would give other options for a motor besides the 2 stroke and the Worksman makes a handsome bike, I know. I wasn't particularly trying to make a board tracker with my build, but it has that look anyway. As for the sidecar it will make any bike interesting. You still got a good deal.
SB