The 2010 4-Stroke in-frame Build-Off!

GoldenMotor.com

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
I finally got mine to start! I drained the bowl and removed it just to see how the float was. Everything looked great and was clean as a whistle. I'd have to pull the engine to remove the airbox to pull the entire carburetor, and wanted to avoid that. After putting everything back together, I leaned out the fuel mixture and increased the idle speed until it finally would run for more than a few seconds. There was a bit of smoke but I'm pretty sure that was just spilled engine juices getting burned away. I have to keep it on half choke for now to keep it running.

I then set it on its center kickstand with the rear wheel pointed in the air to test how everything would work at speed. The chain gets thrown off under heavy throttle so I'll be doing some alignment and possible link removal tomorrow. I'm so stoked to finally have it at least running, though.

Hi GlueKill,

Be very careful when running on stand as the motor can easily pass redline. It is hard to tell the RPM of the motor because it is smooth and quite.

It should run with the choke off soon after it starts, as it doesn't take long to warm up. If you continue to need the choke you might have small obstruction in one of the internal carburetor passages.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Have fun,

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Hey, now Lance is on (Hi Lance). Hey GlueKill, I have to hold the throttle about 1/3 open while pulling the rope on my bike cold or warm to get it started. Try it with your bike & see if it helps.
Jay

Last edited:

GlueKill

Jun 16, 2010
Columbia, MO
My mistake! Forgot that the choke was on when it's on the pull cord side. Turns out it dies when I leave the choke on, which what's supposed to happen, right? Runs fine with the choke turned off. Phew. And I didn't crank the throttle all the way when testing it. I think I made it only about halfway at most before the chain bucked itself off of the rear sprocket. Hopefully I'll have the chain issues sorted out and the rear fender re-installed tomorrow.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Gluekill,
Sometimes it is the simplest things which hang you up. I recall a time when I was riding along with my two stroke and the engine sputtered a bit and died. Nothing I could do to get it started. I checked wires from the magneto, kill switch, CDI wire snugness,fuel line to see if gas was flowing... that was it! Fuel. Must be something plugging the line at the gas tank since nothing was flowing to the fuel filter.
Then I thought to open the gas cap for a look
and realized I had run out of gas. Duhhh.
So glad you got that sorted out. Good luck riding today... stay safe.
SB

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Gluekill,
Sometimes it is the simplest things which hang you up. I recall a time when I was riding along with my two stroke and the engine sputtered a bit and died. Nothing I could do to get it started. I checked wires from the magneto, kill switch, CDI wire snugness,fuel line to see if gas was flowing... that was it! Fuel. Must be something plugging the line at the gas tank since nothing was flowing to the fuel filter.
Then I thought to open the gas cap for a look
and realized I had run out of gas. Duhhh.
So glad you got that sorted out. Good luck riding today... stay safe.
SB
My bad one is trying to start my 99 Whizzer with the kill switch off. Once I even pushed it home, took off the tank, checked the wiring & replaced the coil ,then the CDI. Finally a friend was there & said "isn't this kill switch in the off position".
We aren't getting off topic, are we? rotfl

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Is your Grubee G4 4 stroke still running?
How does your new EZ motorbike Q Matic compare to your G 4?
Of course the 4G 4-stroke is still running like a champ...I ride it everyday. Seeing as how the EZM is still in the build, it's impossible to compare the two. When I finish the BB and cranks, get the heavy duty rear wheel, get some brakes and tidy up all the loose ends and wiring I'll be able to give it some proper riding time. Until then, stay tuned....cheers!

Helmutt Cycles

Nov 27, 2009
PHX. AZ
I'm Glade the date Has been moved till Dec. as I am still In the Planning an ordering the parts stages.. My build is going to be an intrepitation Of a Vintage board Track Racer..
Helmutt Says

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'll prolly enter this bike when it's finished.....it runs great but is really hard to stop with no brakes! Have no fear, brakes are in transit....can't wait! I also need a rear tank/rack like my other 4-stroke, kinda hard to find them lately....and a straight pipe exhaust system. All in due time. The new name of this bike is Black-n-Blue, it transformed from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke and was a pretty snug fit.

Complete with tachometer

Was able to use the stock cranks just barely....not an easy task. Cheers!

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scotto,
That's a good looking bike and a nice install. Fits right in there. And you didn't have to change the pedal crank! Is the Pedal sprocket stock, too? I like it.
SB

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto,
That's a good looking bike and a nice install. Fits right in there. And you didn't have to change the pedal crank! Is the Pedal sprocket stock, too? I like it.
SB
Thanks silverbear (and Bill), the sprocket is the stock one off of my other 4-stroke....it's 2 teeth bigger (38t) than the original off of this bike....I had to do a little fabrication to make it work of course. I used the 206mm wide cartridge bottom bracket from SBP.....barely clears with the stock cranks.