80cc carb problem

GoldenMotor.com

jgwelder

Feb 13, 2010
New York City
Hi All- I'm new to this forum, but I it seems like it might be my only hope to get some info. I got my first 80cc motor last week, and installation on my 60's cruiser went surprisingly well- considering the fact the the instruction booklet is pretty ridiculous. Nothing seems to be explained well, or pictured very well for that matter. That said, when I went to connect the throttle cable to the interior of the carb, I opened up the top, and I can not figure out for the life of me how the cable attaches to the interior of it. The booklet shows the needle with a little clip, another little silver disc, a spring (all those are there), and a gold tube with a slit in it- I think this is the "slide" but mine doesn't seem to have that gold tube in the carb housing. There does seem to be a silver tube in there, but it will not come out- and I don't want to force anything- thinking maybe that's supposed to stay in there. Even if I had the gold tube- the booklet doesn't really show how the cable is supposed to attach to those parts. Can someone explain to me how it works- or how it's supposed to work? Everything else was pretty self explanatory in terms of installation- but I just can not figure this out- please let me know what I'm missing if you're able. Many thanks! Looking forward to hearing from someone-
Best,
JG

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Heat the carb with a hair dryer or heat gun and turn it upside down and tap it on something like a block of wood or an old book (not cement or steel, you'll mess up the carb body). You may have to "dress" it a little with some 400 grit sandpaper before re-installing.

Let us know how it goes.

jgwelder

Feb 13, 2010
New York City
Thanks- it was in there, and it did come out w/a little paperclip bent just so. I feel like an idiot, but it really seemed like it was fused metal in there, and that the actual slide was missing. Lesson learned, and thanks again for your advice.
dance1