49cc generator

GoldenMotor.com
Hi abikerider,

I was in a hurry and didn't write down any readings. I cut the coils with the lamination intact. I left a small tab on the base of each and mounted them in sets of two using the laminated steel from a defective vintage Whizzer magneto. I cut the 2 sides off the vintage "E" bar and used the long sides to connect them. The metal exiting the windings is in fact from a system where the magnets in the flywheel pass outside the coils. I spaced the center laminated .010" from the flywheel. The metal isn't shaped correctly to maximize the magnetic transfer, but gave me a fair amount of wattage, I am not completly sure but I think I was pulling about 3 watts at higher RPMs on one of the early tests, but the voltage wasn't at 12V, more like 9.5 to 10V.

Maybe I will find some extra time in a few weeks to work on it again. I do plan on cutting the edges of the laminated metal to match the outside shape of the flywheel. I will put each coil in my mill and reverse the shape of the metal as it leaves the windings.

So far I have only worked with direct output, and haven't played with caps, diodes, or reguators yet.

I really think it is going to need several coils to get what we need. Maybe 2 "C" bars with 3 coils each might deliver enough.

Have fun,

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hi Quenton,
I see you already understand what I was talking about. I think machining the cores to match the flywheel magnets' curvature should give a nice boost to the output. I agree that the more cores the better but the space available and the mounting points do create a challenge. I can see why you are putting it on the back burner as it's going to take some time to engineer the solution to mounting three or more cores. I think 2 c-cores is probably going to be the absolute minimum needed. It sure is fun seeing every ones individual efforts and being able to share ideas. Gotta love this forum.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hi,
Just checking to see if anyone has made any progress on their generators. I am in the process of getting quotes for a laminated magnetic core for my design. Then I can build a prototype and know how many watts I can get out of it. The solid steel core I was using created too many eddy currents in the core which dramatically affected the output. I was going to have a magnetics consultant help design the thing but the cost for his help was way too high. I'd rather build my prototype and see what happens. Anybody else have any progress to report?

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
the one i made with the 2 stroke laminate still works. im running a 3watt led with no cap or voltage regulator. cant run anything with high amps. but i only needed a light anyway.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
the one i made with the 2 stroke laminate still works. im running a 3watt led with no cap or voltage regulator. cant run anything with high amps. but i only needed a light anyway.
That's encouraging. The 2 stoke magneto core dimension across the two legs of the core is a little large at 2" on the outside. The magnets in the flywheel are spaced 1.75" on the outside. Also the thickness of the legs in that same direction is not very good so all that means that I can probably get considerably more wattage with the right dimensions on a core. Have you hooked up a multimeter with the led burning to get voltage and amperage measurements? This would let you know exactly how many watts you are producing and would be a help for those of us experimenting with this setup. I think with the right core to put windings on this will be a great setup.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Here's an update on my alternator project. I had three magnetic steel alternator cores made with two lengths and with and without holes and will be testing them on the engine soon. It will be very interesting to see what effect the different configurations have on output and the maximum output available with this setup. Also, I should be able to get much more output compared to the solid iron core. Here's a picture of the cores.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Finally got around to creating a new mounting bracket which was not so easily done since the mounting holes on the engine are angled. I'm getting about 4 watts with one core so it's looking very promising. Now I need to order some more cores.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Finally got around to creating a new mounting bracket which was not so easily done since the mounting holes on the engine are angled. I'm getting about 4 watts with one core so it's looking very promising. Now I need to order some more cores.
I still have everything crossed
Terry

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
OK, after trying different length cores, insulated vs. uninsulated mounting brackets, insulted vs. uninsulated bolts, and moving the coil closer to the flywheel I got a maximum of 19volts at 1/4 amp driving a light bulb while revving the engine. This was with only one coil and it was producing nearly 5 watts! I was overdriving the 14volt 200ma light bulb which was glowing very brightly. Since the core has room for two coils that means a maximum of almost 10 watts while revving the engine and probably 3 or 4 watts at idle. This is more than I expected and I am very pleased! I'm changing the core dimensions slightly after these results and will be getting a quote for some cores very soon. Everyone who wants lighting power for their Hua Sheng engines should be very happy, I know I am.dance1

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Here's a picture of the latest prototype with both coils on. It looks like it only puts out 50% more power than a single coil so my revised estimate for maximum power out is 7.5 watts. Still not bad. Still waiting on a bid for the core and need to refine the mounting bracket. and maybe design a cover for it. Here's a link to a youtube video of it lighting up that 14.4 volt 200ma light bulb.
http://www.youtube.com/user/abikerider?feature=mhsn#p/u/2/-5px8DVPl8A

Attachments

Last edited: