No compression

GoldenMotor.com

steef

Dec 21, 2009
Louisiana
I had alotta trouble getting my engine started. finally started and ran good for about 5 minutes. now it won't start. When I peddle with the clutch engaged,it feels too easy and it don't sound like the piston is going up and down cause I don't hear compression comming out of the muffler.

One time the master link came off my chain and the chain came off. When I replaced the chain, I noticed a small pin came out of the center of the motor chain sprocket, I just pushed it back in and put the cover back on. Do you think that has anything to do with it or maybe something else

Thanks for any help

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That pin you're talking about is part of the clutch actuator. There is a ball bearing behind the pin and both need to be lubricated when installed. Now for the compression thing. Remove the spark plug, put your thumb over the hole and roll your bike forward with the clutch engaged (don't squeeze the clutch lever). Do you feel air escaping around your thumb? If not, check your clutch cable. It might be too tight which will disengage the clutch and the crankshaft will not rotate. If the clutch isn't disengaged and you feel nothing from the spark plug hole you might have some serious problems. What was your oil mix ratio? Did the engine make any odd sounds before it died? Squealing or knocking? Try the suggestion above and get back to us with the results.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't think it's a compression issue... I think your clutch is slipping & the engine isn't even turning over.
Make sure there is a little slack in the clutch cable, & maybe even loosen the flower nut one click.

*edit* what was the shape of the small pin that came out??? was it a half circle, or a long dowel pin??

Last edited:

steef

Dec 21, 2009
Louisiana
OK, I'm an idiot, Put my finger over the spark plug hole and found compression.
Checked clutch cable and found that the cable was just tight enough that it was not letting the clutch fully engage. I reajusted the cable and now it works just fine.

Thank You 2door

Test123

Aug 6, 2022
My bike's back tire always locks when the clutch isn't engaged. How would I engage the clutch without the lever?