Bike problems

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Went out and cleaned the carburetor,there was a small amount of fresh oil sitting behind the air filter..Haven't had a chance to start it up.Does anyone know why there would be a small puddle of oil sitting there?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
the oil is from the engines intake pulses, a small amount of mix will slightly blow out of the carb when the engine is running just the nature of these engines, over time the fuel will vapor off but the oil doesn't
so from time to time you will have to wipe it off or clean the air breather I don't oil the filter as it will get oily on its own when I wash out the filter with dish soap and warm water. Once its washed I wring it out mount it and go for a ride dries it out pretty quickly.
A little spray of brake cleaner on the carbs outside and the engine will help keep the engine clean.
If you use carb cleaner on the outside of the engine when its mounted on the bike you might ruin your paint carb cleaner is rough on paint,skin, lungs,and very bad in your eyes. Brake cleaner is almost as bad. Depending on what the cleaner are made from some can be very nasty.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thanks Norman.I was thinking the same as the filter is usually pretty oily.Tomorrow I'll try to start it up and let ya guys know how it went!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Just got back in from trying to get my MB going,it will not start at all.The best I can describe the sound of the motor is it has the tone of how a 2-Stroke is flooding it just won't kick in no matter what.I've checked the new plug several times its not wet so it can't be flooded,it has a good spark to it.I've rewired everything as well.Any help here please?

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Edit: I tore the engine off the bike,pulled the head off from the cylinder and then tipped the motor upside down and out comes a big puddle of oil with a little gas.I'm assuming it was flooded? I went over the whole engine everything else seems good.I guess I'll get installed and see how it goes..Any input would be great.

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Good news :D It seems as when you take something apart for absolutely no reason and put it back together it works like a charm!Odd but great~ I took my mb out for a ride tonight in the 20 degree weather here and it started right up!Thanks for replies everyone.