Corruption of youth! (I mean that in a good way)

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yesterday, I was on a rare November/Ohio ride, and was stopped at my favorite place to take a break, when an Amish buggy came rumbling up. This break place is a bridge, on a game reserve in western Pa, on a road called Shadeland Rd." It has one house on the end, then a mile or so up is the bridge, with no more house for another mile or so I guess. Nice and quiet.

The Amish buggy was not unusual, since several of my riding 'loops' are in the heart of western Pa./eastern Ohio Amish country. What was unusual was instead of the wave and "How's it goin' friend?" I normally get, they stopped.

Out of the buggy came four big teen Amish kids. Was I about to be mugged by the Amish gangbangers of Erie county?

No. "Hey Mr., we seen ya ridin' that thing a lot." "Yes, I do ride it around here and stop here often." I said. Then, I knew what was next..."Can I ride it?" the one kid said. Uhmmmm aren't you guys not really supposed to run an engines, no elctricity, and all that?" I asked. "Well,....yes and no." The one kid said. Then they all just stood there, sullen, like I just took away there best pitchfork.

I thought about it for awhile, then weighed the risks, and said "What the heck. I guess." I figured they aren't real "sue happy" and if one of 'em busted their lip or skinned a knee, they could take it better than one of today's societies white bread kids with the X Box callouses. Plus, most of these kids have worked in a sawmill, operated farm machinery ect, and the use of a simple clutch and throttle would not be beyond them, plus most know how to ride a bike, since apperently, that is allowed.

After some basic instructions and making sure they all did indeed know how to ride a bike, I fired it up. Then I turned the gas off just in case and sent the first one on his way with instructions to "just go down there a piece, turn around and come back." I figured this way, if the "throttle panic" or other set in, he couldn't get too far before it ran out of gas.

I shouldn't have worried, as he made it far enough to get down the road, make a turn without pulling the clutch and halfway back before it started to stutter, and quit.

WHOOOOOWHOOOO!!!! all four started to whoop and holler and jump up and down like they wion the lotto or something and ran to their buddy. I thought for a minute they were gonna lift him up and carry him off like they do in the movies, but they just slapped him up a bit and then looked am me.

"Alrighty, who's next?" I asked and then the next kid rode it, then the next, then the last, then the first wanted to ride again, and since I cut off the gas and he only rode a bit I said "O.K."

That kid rode that bike so far down the road I couldn't see him any more and the other got quiet. We all stood there for a few minutes and no one wanted to say anything....so I did.
"Let's take your buggy and see what happened." So we did.

Here I am, riding in an Amish buggy, looking for an AWOL Amish kid on my bike, strange even for me....well, maybe not.

We finally saw him coming back toward us, and it looked like everything was O.K. It was, He said he just couldn't stop, or turn around yet and kept on riding.

Nice. I told them all to keep it quiet and maybe next spring or summer I may see them out there again.....now, I just hope they kept it quiet, and I am not on so Amish hit list for corruption of youth.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Great story Joe, gawd that stuff just can't happen often enough! Next thing ya know there'll be horseless carriages that sound suspiciously loud with a telltale trail of blue smoke ;)

To bad there's no pics - it'd look like a Norman Rockwell :D

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
They did draw the line at photos, (I always take the camera) they said "It takes a piece of your soul".

I thought of it more as 19th century Merry Pranksters than Normal Rockwell.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for sharing that, Joe. Just made my day. I was/am going to clean gutters today now I can start that task with a smile. Thanks again. :)
Tom

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Great story Joe!

Made my day too!

One of the interesting aspects of the Amish is that they allow for a period of time before they are baptized to be rebellious or to experience more of the outside world. Sort of an Amish walkabout.

It is called Rumspringa

I'm guessing the boys you let ride your bike hadn't been baptized yet so they were more or less allowed to ride without technically breaking their faith.

Not only did your kindness return a great memory for yourself but you probably provided those boys with a memory they will carry with them fondly for their entire life.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Joe, there is a chance that you may not be going to Heaven because of this but you gave those boys a peek at it. They will be talking about that to all thier friends.

Steve.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Pretty cool dude...I came around a curve once up there close to Wooster Oh. East side I think goin down Hwy 30 road was packed snow and there was a buggy...the Lord had to be watchin over us all that day was 2 lane. I got around em ok but a few seconds either way woulda been too bad. I was the only big truck I saw on that road that day and now I know why.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I should have read this sooner, I'm sorry I missed it. Great story and those things do happen to guys who are open to them happening. First you wave and speak then it escalates. If you hadn't been seen and seemed like a nice guy before it never would have happened. Great story...

examish

Nov 11, 2009
Ohio
Hahaha good story... Mind if I share it on youtube? (I make videos about my people, and they have been watched over 2.2 million times.)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, share away.

I do hear low voices whenever I go into the Lakeland Amish Baked Good store, which I go to often.

The Amish give me strange glances when I ride into town....."there he is, the corruptor of our youth."