clutch eating cover

GoldenMotor.com

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
My motor has been slumping to the left some. Broke a chain, figured I'd fix it. Pulled the clutch cover off to make a like shaped, vertical engine mount. Something that bolts over the outside of the cover, goes up and bolts to the top tube.

After getting the cover off, I noticed rings ground into the cover. With my clutch lever pulled and the back wheel off the ground, the wheel does not spin, if the chain falls off it does spin.

Thoughts? Advice? I made this alum gasket. Gonna leave some meat on it for now, in case I wana bolt some thing to it. I'll pretty it up later.

I'm thinking of making a new front mount that extends up to the top tube. be more attractive.

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
If your clutch is hitting the cover like that some thing isnt spaced right. Your clutch/sprocket needs to go in further, it might just be .050 or so but you need to do some checking. From the marks on the cover does it look like the nut or shaft is hitting it, or the clutch it self? From the pic it looks like it could be the outer edges of the nut but its hard to tell with out being there in person. Measure from the center of the mark to where its rubbing on the cover and youll know exactly whats stcking out when you compare that to the clutch/shaft/nut.

Last edited:

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
I changed my engine sprocket, when I did I taped the new one on with a hammer. I remember thinking i hit it too hard, too many times. Is it possible i moved the entire assembly some?

edit: after inspecting it looks to be the set screw thats rubbing. Its taller that everything else it'd need to chew in pretty far for the other stuff to rub.

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Under 400x magnification it looks like that phillips head bolt is your problemo, is it tight? The gears look perfectly lined up and square too. Is that a phillips bolt you added or did it come with the kit? You need some one who is more familiar with these gear boxes Im just trying to use common sense which might not be sufficient help, be patient help will come. I need to start looking at pics before I open up my yap from now on.

Last edited:

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I had the same problem- its only the set screw for your flower nut. My problem was due to the set screw backing out. A dab of loctite solved the problem.

If your screw is tight and you have put a few miles on the bike, the screw has already made its required clearance. Chances are the noise is gone and problem has fixed itself. If you are still worried either 1) try a different screw with a lower profile. 2) use your al gasket 3) double up stock gaskets or trace yours and make one out of a cereal box.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i think i would measure....it doesnt look to me from the marks on the cover that you are rubing it...the beveling in the center looks to perfect...the scratches in the left are straight not curved like the gear or clutch plate is rubbing...i have a bike thats seals are worn out and leaks allittle so i removed the gasket to alow the leakage to escape...no rubbing

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Totally disregard the scratches to the left. I did those filling a small bur, while making the gasket.

I must admit, I jumped off the deep end. Lol, I never even checked the tightness on the set screw. "those darn things are known noise, I'll make a gasket" and off I went.

I agree that it all looks straight, uniform distances from gears to engine case. well it was tight, was able to tighten it a slight bit more. Maybe 1/16th of a turn, don't think that's enough.

There was a good bit of noise coming from the cover, so I'm not sold on it being done. I wasn't worried about it really, till the word worry was thrown out lol.

Guess I'll roll w/the gasket, and keep a close eye on it. Pull the cover after short rides for the next month or so.

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
I do think the hammer/installation tool had something to do with it. ;)
all signs point to yes. lol

I had the engine mounted, before deciding to change sprockets. while changing sprocket/painting/polishing, I lost the clutch pin(which I later found next to my monitor, scatter brain). ordered a new pin and bearing.

Put it back on, and I couldnt get the primary sprocket cover on. I'm thinking the 1st bearing wasnt lost but jammed in it. it looks as if theres one in there, but I cant get it out. when installed without the new bearing it seems to work fine. but the clutch lever is 15 degrees closer to the seat tube then i remember it.