red (fiber?) washers on carb leaking

GoldenMotor.com

ryan83

Oct 1, 2009
IL
Ridden my mb about 5 times, 10 min. each time. the red fiber washer on the drain screw (or drain plug?) on the bottom of the carb doesn't seem to be sealing it off very well. it's leaking a little bit and when I wipe it off with a towel it looks dry for a second then it gets wet again. in the morning the garage smells like gas and there's a quarter sized spot on the floor where it's been dripping and drying up. the red washer on the fuel "inlet?" where the fuel line comes in is also wet but not really leaking... anyway, what can I replace these two washers with so they don't leak? I tightened them up as much as possible but the washers just seem to be soaking it right up and leaking it to the outside. btw the petcock is definitely closed while this is happening.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Did you try tightening the drain plug?? That always cures the problem for me...
You can also dry the red gaskets & apply silicone gasket sealer to them!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
ah dont forget plumbers tape applied to the fasteners threads!
Plumbers tape? HaHaHa!

Plumbers tape is 20 gauge galvanized steel with perforations. I'd like to see you wrap some of THAT around the threads. You probably mean the thin Teflon Tape. Also a bad idea as many airplane disasters were caused by people using that on 2-stroke carbs.

If reasonable tightening with new fiber washer still leaks then there is a more serious problem and it should be replaced.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Get the yellow teflon tape, it's about 3x as thick and is gas resistant, it's what I used to seal my petcock.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
Plumbers tape? HaHaHa!

Plumbers tape is 20 gauge galvanized steel with perforations. I'd like to see you wrap some of THAT around the threads. You probably mean the thin Teflon Tape. Also a bad idea as many airplane disasters were caused by people using that on 2-stroke carbs.

If reasonable tightening with new fiber washer still leaks then there is a more serious problem and it should be replaced.
well, to me plumbers tape is white teflon thread tape, you dont need to go being mr right and shooting down ideas. after all we arent exactly flying.

if you were to go around replacing all the leaky junk parts on the kits youd never get one to work flawlessly.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
well, to me plumbers tape is white teflon thread tape, you dont need to go being mr right and shooting down ideas. after all we arent exactly flying.
Pros call it "pipe tape" or "thread tape". If you ordered the wrong thing like I did couple years back then correct terminology might seem more important. Language is all we have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
The yellow teflon tape is thicker than the white. The "gas" reference on the yellow is talking about gaseous like Propane etc. Either should seal you up fine.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
gas tape wont be hurt by the ill effects of the stagnant crap they put in propane and natural gas thats one other reason... (i used to remanufacure bbq tanks.... what a money raquet that is.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Plumbers tape? HaHaHa!

I think he meant teflon tape. Like what we use on faucet threads. It's techincally a lubricant but does help to seal. Gas will eat it up. I replaced that crappy washer with a teflon one and hasn't leaked since I replaced it.