WONT START.. again lol

GoldenMotor.com

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
i Have A Hard question, if the cdi module is bad can you still have spark??

My bike wont start I tested my magneto and got all the right readings. then tested the cdi module, the readings where all Wrong!..... BUT i have spark when i walk my bike FAST with the spark plug against the head....

NOTE:1. Im really good with a multi meter so i know the settings where accurate. 2. the bike is getting gas and has good compression. timing is good also. 3. Im using msd wire and have been for a while. 4. ngk bp5hs installed.

Please help.
thanks in advanced

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
ive tried that. ether, and that was just incase because it already had a wet plug and gas dripping from the tail pipe after numerous times of trying to start it

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Just talkin out loud but just for grinns disconnect the kill switch just in case it is faulty and drawing some current. I also gotta wonder if the float needs adjusting...could be flooding? Fortunately I have a nice big hill to crank with.

Noticed you are in Stillwater...I worked out of the Wal-Mart DC in Ochelata just south of Bartlesville north of Tulsa a few years ago...nice country, I like Oklahoma.

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
well when i first got my kit i never included a kill switch since they can often times go bad. and also killing your fire by grounding it out isnt the best.

i have never ajusted the float, i did try starting at the top of this hill. and while going down i tried every choke and trottle ajustment possible. it just wouldnt start.

i dont think its the float.... it was running fine and then i go to start it.... tries and putted a lil then nothing.

o and i do love Oklahoma.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Did it rain.
Did you wash your engine.

Remove the cover on the magneto housing.
Dry off any trace of moisture.
check for shorts as well .
Loose connections.
Also check the cdi wires by gently tugging on them.

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
ok so i just got back from checking everything. it did rain a while back.....
but it ran the day after that just fine.
ive had the cover of earlier and no water.
i checked the wires and the continuity is good all the way up till it goes in the box.
ive tried new gas too.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
try to clear the engine leave the spark plug out gas off throttle wide open choke off pedal to clear out any fuel. install clean new spark plug gaped at 0.020. try to start first with the fuel off then on see if it won't fire up. you said it was dripping fuel out of the pipe sounds like you flooded the pi$$ out of it.
3 things to make your engine run
spark at proper time
fuel
air
If your missing one of these or in the wrong amount it will not run

you need a proper oil mix for a 2 stroke too much oil will ruin your day, fowl the spark plug carbon up the rings and combustion chamber. mix at 20 to 1 first for break in then go to either 32 to 1 or 40 to 1 for syn oil or follow directions on the oil bottle. Do mix your fuel in a separate fuel can. regular gas is the best for these engines.
I've been using Polan 2 stroke syn. oil at 40 to 1 in the bikes this seems to be working very well no smoking and more power from the engine.

Last edited:

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
OK well looks like i have something new to try lol.

on the three thing... thats not always true its very important to have proper compression too. o and also the right mixture of air and fuel.....

my mix is perfect 25 to 1, and a brand new batch too. i mix it in tank but i shake good and only do .3 gallons per tank so its not to full. has been working great for me. and also my plug looks grand when running properly lol...
i use high performance echo 2stroke oil.
no smoke

im gonna try the ur suggestion though. thanks. ill let you know how it goes

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
ok so i tried it.... i more or less got nothing but a workout... lol even tried my big hill! sucks goin back up it lol

so nothin.... does any one know more about testing the cdi module?? was i testing it wrong? all my wiring is a+++. double checked and tested.. i mean i got spark but is the cdi giving it off wrong or something

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You said you have spark right?
remove the mag coil cover see if the key ways line up on the mag rotor you might need to remove the mag rotor to check this. It could be the key sheared you will still get a spark but it will be out of time so you won't get any pop or fire from the engine even with a good spark.

chrisvermilyea88

Jun 25, 2011
sandersville ms
I have a quick question I was rideing my bike down the road and the bolt for the carb fell out that holds it on to the intake I put a new bolt on it and put it back on the engine and it fails to crank after that happen what have I done and what do I need to do to fix it this is my only ride to work