Air Bubbles in Fuel Line !?!?!?!?

GoldenMotor.com

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I've had my bike running for about 4 days. It's been running great until last night. Every 3 minutes air bubbles would start to form in the fuel line. They appeared to be coming from the engine up to the tank. The Engine would rev way up and then die. I would take off the tank cap to relieve pressure and fuel would flow back down into the fuel line.

I called dax and he thinks that it's percolating. That my engine's running hot and percolating the fuel I guess. He said add more oil to the mixture. It was 46 degrees outside though. That should have helped keep it cool.

Although, this last tank I used Premium gasoline rather than regular. Maybe that would be part of the problem too?? Only thing is, I ran through 1/3 of that premium tank before the problem started.

Should the tank caps be letting more air in or are they supposed to do that at all? Maybe I have gas in my cap that is stuck in there and blocking the air???

Any ideas????

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Premium gasoline is a waste of yer monies on these sloppy lil motors - don't bother. It seems like a good idea but there's really nothing to be gained.

Insofar as the fuel bubbling problem, I had a very similar problem - but it was back when my engine was new so maybe this isn't it... I like so many others, has tried "soft" motor mounts and in addition had a length of fuel line not securely connected to the frame. As a result of line vibration my fuel would "froth" and gave me symptoms very similar to what you describe. It was also somewhat intermittent for added amusement o_O

Have you messed with yer fuel line/filter recently?

Yet I'd listen to Dax, he's forgotten more than I'll prolly ever know about these motors lol if yer vapor locking due to heat that could explain it... but it does seem a little odd.

To get a good idea about yer fuel/air/oil mix - have you checked your spark plug's coloration? Is you engine/exhaust making excessive/more cool-down noises (the ting/pop as metal contracts) than it used to?

Bet there's someone here that'll nail yer prob lol, good luck :)

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I love this forum. Replys are quick and people want to help!

I'm curious about the fuel line vibration. You can see how I have it set up in this picture.
Picasa Web Albums - Rick
It is touching the frame which could vibrate it or be said to help keep it from vibrating as much. I do have a few little black things in my fuel filter. but not enough to look like it's clogging it. Oh I do have the fuel filter installed in the Opposite way as shown in the picture so that the cone is up.

I have not taken my spark plug off in 3 days. Last time I took it off it was black except for the 2 spots where the spark arcs across.

I don't seem to be having excessive tings or pops from cool down or warm up. None at all for now I think.

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I had this same exact problem and it turned out to be a combo of two things. First my gas cap wasn't venting properly so only a small amount of fuel was running down the line and that small amount would just foam up because of the second problem...vibration! So I took the black seal off of my gas cap and vented it better(with a drill bit) and insulated the fuel line from the frames vibration and magically it stopped doing it. Good luck

.sno.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... while that setup could be prone to excessive vibration, given it's an almost straight shot down I'd imagine that'd not be an issue, but I'd still consider rerouting, strapping it to the frame w/stand offs if possible, tho on yer bike that could be tricky... I also forgot to mention it was the carb shaking too that made the prob so bad for me.

A few black specks aren't going to effect the filter, tho it's good you flipped it around ;) If in doubt, jus pull the carb end and drain into a bucket/gas can for at least 30sec to a full min, this will show if yer not flowing/venting properly.

Black isa lil dark for these motors, even during break-in, I'd shoot for a milk chocolate brown, cooking chocolate if yer paranoid :D

edit: Oh and BTW that's a sweet build ya got there! :)

Last edited:

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
Thanks Guys! Hey BikeDad. You're saying you drilled some holes in the black seal right? Maybe I'm not visualizing it correctly right now, but won't those holes seal up as soon as you screw the cap back on? Or maybe you drilled the holes from the side? I'm definately not getting the air flow through the cap. How could that have all of the sudden stopped?
I will try to mod my fuel line too.

Thanks for the compliment B.A.!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
erm... tho it could very well be yer prob, I would try a flow test before drilling the cap - these caps are junk to begin with and gettin' gas all over yerself when you ride causes an odd "itching burning sensation" lol

Another flow test is to simply take the cap off/loosen it as you're riding and experience the prob, but be sure to have a 1/2 tank or less... see "itching burning sensation" again :D

I've been ona quest for a cap that seals tight, then drill it in the center and add a fitting & hose, much like you see on dirtbikes & 4wheelers. A far superior design for our bike application (doesn't spill as much/at all if knocked over), I've just not found a cap that fits/looks right yet.

Last edited:

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
Last night when I was riding my bike started to Rev up really high so I quickly opened the gas cap and the reving slowed down and everything went back to normal. If I hadn't opened the cap it would have reved up and shut down. So flow from my cap definately seems to be a problem.

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
I took the rubber seal off carefully and I first tried to drill small holes from the side but that didn't seem to solve the problem so I ended up drilling a small hole in the top of the cap it self and that did the trick and it doesn't leak fluid or odor through the drilled hole. I have been trying to find a proper fill cap for a while with no luck.

.sno.

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I suppose you could make a nice little hood scoop looking thing to go over the hole you drilled to. Make it out of thin aluminum sheet. I think I might do that!

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Funny you say that I made a little cover for it out of some neoprene I had laying around in the garage. I rode it on a rainy day and had no problem with water getting into my gas.

.sno.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
How big is the hole you drilled BikeDad?
man thats a quote.

Anyway - you should run a fuel line from the cap into a catch can or at least down the side of the bike away from the engine, much like a breather tube on a dirtbike's tank