need help mounting rear sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

CAS

Sep 17, 2009
St Louis
I just got my kit today, but i've been reading this forum for awhile getting ready. i did a search and couldn't find an answer to my question, so here goes.... i have an old jc higgins cruiser (with coaster brake).

I have made the hole on the sprocket large enough to fit over the hub, but the bolt holes on the sprocket are blocked by the hub of the wheel. would it be best to drill the sprocket bolt holes to clear the hub, or would just drilling holes into the hub be an easier option? i'm going to try and include some photos.... the hub seems to be larger than most... would just getting a new wheel make this work? any ideas would be appreciated. i would rather not mess something up this early in the assembly!

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
CAS,

The plates, 2 or 3, that back up the rubber material on the inside are on the same bolt circle as the sprocket holes. If you drill holes in the sprocket on a larger bolt circle, you will need to make new backing plates.

I make a part that resollves this problem. It also eliminates the problem with concentricity as the rubber mount set-up can allow for a lot of slop.

Manic Mechanic

Jim

CAS

Sep 17, 2009
St Louis
thanks for the quick reply... I have already checked out the parts on your site, and they look great... i've also read some great stuff about your products, but unfortunately they are a bit out of my budget right now. My goal is to get the bike up and running, then fine tune it. would drilling out the hub be a disaster for the mean time? i have bookmarked your site though for when im ready. do you have any opinions or ideas?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
CAS,

For the 68 spoke Micargi's, I make a sprocket that bolts directly to the spoke flange.

It looks like you could do the same thing on yours. You will have to use flat washers to space the sprocket away from the spokes.

I use (4) 1/4-28 allens with nylocks...It works great, but my sprocket registers perfectly on the hub. You will have to ensure that your sprocket is running concentric before drilling the holes or it will wobble.

Jim

barebones

Jun 14, 2009
new zealand
i drilled into the hub with great results, i feel its stronger than bolting to the spokes, as long as you're sure the centre hole you enlarged is exactly centred, a snug fit over the coaster brake will help you centre it so no wobbles. Dave

CAS

Sep 17, 2009
St Louis
thanks for all the help! I ended up drilling some holes into the wheel, and so far i think its good and centered. should be a good bit stronger as well... thanks!

Bushpig

Sep 10, 2009
FtMcMurray Alta Canada
NP Cas...I've realized in my short time on this site, that there are as many "Knee Jerk" reactions, to simple issues as there are actual helpful comments, you kind of have to sift and sort through them. I'm luckier than some as I have been doing small engines, chain drives ect, as a hobby for thirty years, (bought my first ARGO back in 75, still have 2 runners, Trikes, yes I have a couple, snowmobiles the same, I run a trapline up here in Northern Alberta. Theres lot of erroneous information out there, not malicious, just misguided I think. Best of luck with your "Toy" I'm certainly enjoying my "Hardley Davidson" as our fall weather is just gorgeous, I can now ride without getting my protein through bugs in the teeth, hahahaha. Glenn.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
thanks for all the help! I ended up drilling some holes into the wheel, and so far i think its good and centered. should be a good bit stronger as well... thanks!
Cas,

Good to hear! Yes it is stronger, and you will not have to worry about broken spokes as you are now driving the entire hub.

Jim

Bushpig,

Quote: "There's a lot of erroneous information out there, not malicious, just misguided I think."

In one sentence you have summarized the internet message board dilemma.

I'll add: The information super highway has matured enough to be riddled with pot holes...:D

Jim