Another bogging thread

GoldenMotor.com

MasonMcD

Aug 25, 2009
Athens, GA
Howdy.

Recently got a Grubee/Black Stallion 66cc/80cc kit and got it up and running after a couple of days. Fun.

Now a week later, however, the engine is a much softer "pokka pokka pokka pokka" rather than the loud "brap brap brap brap" in the first few rides, no power, doesn't idle, just slowly dies, and dies immediately when I pull the clutch.

I've checked the plug, the fuel lines, I've disassembled and reassembled the carb, checked the seals, float, mixture, idle screw. Put the clip on the second groove.

The clutch is fine, everything seems fine. Maybe the actual engine is flooded? I'm going to try riding with the gas cap off, just to cover all the bases. Nope. :-||

It used to idle. It used to run. It didn't used to die when I disengaged the clutch. What's up all of a sudden?

I know it's getting fuel. I know it's getting a spark (it runs for a while) and the plug is tan.

Ghaaaa!

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Howdy.

Recently got a Grubee/Black Stallion 66cc/80cc kit and got it up and running after a couple of days. Fun.

Now a week later, however, the engine is a much softer "pokka pokka pokka pokka" rather than the loud "brap brap brap brap" in the first few rides, no power, doesn't idle, just slowly dies, and dies immediately when I pull the clutch.

I've checked the plug, the fuel lines, I've disassembled and reassembled the carb, checked the seals, float, mixture, idle screw. Put the clip on the second groove.

The clutch is fine, everything seems fine. Maybe the actual engine is flooded? I'm going to try riding with the gas cap off, just to cover all the bases. Nope. :-||

It used to idle. It used to run. It didn't used to die when I disengaged the clutch. What's up all of a sudden?

I know it's getting fuel. I know it's getting a spark (it runs for a while) and the plug is tan.

Ghaaaa!
Start with it running and spray some wd40 around the intaket head and base of the jug if she idles up you got a leak. Check head studs are tight

MasonMcD

Aug 25, 2009
Athens, GA
the four nuts on the top of your motor. around your sparkplug. DON'T overtighten them, or crank on them while your motor's hot.
Nah. Those were tight. How do you check if the engine itself is flooded? The float in the carb looks like it's doing its job.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Make sure the wires to the CDI & kill switch aren't being pinched & grounding out on the frame or engine.
When you say it "dies immediately when I pull the clutch", makes me think its the wires. (i say this because I had a similar problem)
Also, get rid of the plug in connectors & solder & heat shrink the wires.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

No, no, no - that's all just cable tension, it's got nothing to do with idle speed, wrong end of the horse man lol

In addition - there is NO "fuel air" mix set screw on these lil carbs (wish there was lol) - THAT is the idle set screw (2 1/2 turns out from stop is usually a good place to start).

Ya might wanna nix that vid and make another. All that cable adjustment is solely to make sure there's no free play or tension on the cable, you do not want to "set" yer idle like that - if a cable binds like in a turn, your motor could change speed or even get stuck at redline... very sketchy.

I like the fact ya made a "how to" vid though - nice, can't fault a guy fer tryin' to help ;)

This is how the idle set screw works;

See that ramp at the bottom of the slide and the lump down in the carb (the one at the top of the hole)? as you turn the screw in - the "lump" goes further into the carb and as it hits the ramp - the less far down the slide can go, allowing more air and fuel into the engine - thereby increasing the idle speed.

Last edited:

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
o_O

No, no, no - that's all just cable tension, it's got nothing to do with idle speed, wrong end of the horse man lol

In addition - there is NO "fuel air" mix set screw on these lil carbs (wish there was lol) - THAT is the idle set screw (2 1/2 turns out from stop is usually a good place to start).

Ya might wanna nix that vid and make another. All that cable adjustment is solely to make sure there's no free play or tension on the cable, you do not want to "set" yer idle like that - if a cable binds like in a turn, your motor could change speed or even get stuck at redline... very sketchy.

I like the fact ya made a "how to" vid though - nice, can't fault a guy fer tryin' to help ;)

This is how the idle set screw works;

See that ramp at the bottom of the slide and the lump down in the carb (the one at the top of the hole)? as you turn the screw in - the "lump" goes further into the carb and as it hits the ramp - the less far down the slide can go, allowing more air and fuel into the engine - thereby increasing the idle speed.
Nice explanation.. .flg.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I always tell people bogging down to PLAY WITH THEIR PETCOCK!!!!!

It's really just a test- try closing the gas flow DOWN a little-if performance improves, the motors are often getting TOO MUCH gas to air, or else a too- rich, not enough oil in gas mix. Also then, not enough air- A few holes drillled in the back of the stock plastic air filter helped my 66 breathe better.

If the petcock adjustment makes no other difference beyond eventually shutting the motor down, then it's something else.

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
I think that i have the same problem. The problem is not the carburettor, because i put one 18mm bing from my kreidler florett, and the idle is really really perfect, a response very good, but when i'm going to take a ride, the motor simply fails, and die :S i dont know what is it, maybe the gasket? I took off the old gaskets, and put some RSV sealante high temperature..

The spark plug is perfect - brown...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think that i have the same problem. The problem is not the carburettor, because i put one 18mm bing from my kreidler florett, and the idle is really really perfect, a response very good, but when i'm going to take a ride, the motor simply fails, and die :S i dont know what is it, maybe the gasket? I took off the old gaskets, and put some RSV sealante high temperature..

The spark plug is perfect - brown...

I would check to be sure the tank is venting and flowing properly. If the plug is brown, and idle is good, it's either fuel starvation, or the idle mix is great, and the other setting are way off. Maybe richen the low end a bit. I am not familiar with what carb you are using, although I'd love to have the bike it came off of.