throttle and/or chain idler upgrade?

GoldenMotor.com

petersawtelles

Jul 23, 2009
plantsville CT
Hello all,

Just finished kit and have begun riding to get the feel of it. I noticed that the throttle seems kind of crappy loose and not spring loaded. Has anyone replaced/upgraded or modded their throttle
kill switch assembly? Also the plastic chain idler has anyone found the need
to change or mod it?

thanks,

Peter

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
many have used the stock idler pulley as it comes out of the box , others have switched to a skateboard wheel that has been modified to have a groove in it for the chain . And still use the same mounting bracket . And even other members have used something of there own fabrication for a bracket and pulley . Unhook the cable from the throttle at the handgrip and pull on the braided wire part to see if you have a spring that is working properly inside the carburator . It should return when you release it . The throttle cable itself should not be mounted with any sharp bends in it only long flowing loops especialy where it comes out of the throttle handle and where it goes in to the carb . There is some crappy looseness in all bike kit throttle set ups and that is the nature of the beast . Motorcycles have a nice crisp throttle action that these kits are lacking .

Last edited:

petersawtelles

Jul 23, 2009
plantsville CT
thanks for the helpful info! Inspecting the throttle assembly I found that the caple end had been slipping out of it's seat on the throttle itself because of a misshapen slot. I fixed this with a
hole drilled and very small cable tie. It is now working smoother.

thanks again,

Peter

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
many have used the stock idler pulley as it comes out of the box , others have switched to a skateboard wheel that has been modified to have a groove in it for the chain . And still use the same mounting bracket . And even other members have used something of there own fabrication for a bracket and pulley .
Best of all remove the idler completely. It serves no purpose on most bikes.

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
I was having problems with the Idler, so I just did away with it. As for the throttle, it is crap. I just got an old dirtbike throttle off of ebay, aluminum, heavy duty, much better. You may need to modify the cable housing stop on that end of the cable for a dirt bike throttle. Another cheap easy throttle fix is an old brake handle, I used that one for about 3 weeks until I got a twist. I was kind of partial to that pull throttle, but it took a couple times to get used to it as I grabbed it when I went to brake...that was fun :)