chain will not clear, Ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
bacikwoods of northern PA
I finally got around to installing my dax engine. Everything was going great until I got around to
installing the chain. When I align the chain with the gears it drags against the bottom rail of the
rear wheel triangle. If I try to push it over with the tensioner it pops off the gears. I tried to put
in a spacer to force the rail out of the way but the axle was to short to reinstall the wheel. Other
then buying a shifter kit is there any way to fix this?

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Mine would hit if I didn't have the tensioner. My tensioner keeps the chain high enough not to hit the rail (or whatever it is called...). The trick with the tensioner is to have thе chain centered on the bottom off of the rear gear. Since the chain is going toward the gear from the bottom, if it isn't going on straight it will jump off. The top doesn't matter quite as much because the chain gets pulled off the top of the gear. It has no way of jumping off.

roachhill

Aug 14, 2008
bacikwoods of northern PA
I'm working on the picture I think I'm going borrow a camera mine doesn't seem to be working. The chain is hitting the inside of the rail (where it passes between the spokes and the small tube) not the top. The tensioner does keep it off the top of the rail. The rear triangle seems to be to narrow to allow proper chain alignment.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I finally got around to installing my dax engine. Everything was going great until I got around to
installing the chain. When I align the chain with the gears it drags against the bottom rail of the
rear wheel triangle. If I try to push it over with the tensioner it pops off the gears. I tried to put
in a spacer to force the rail out of the way but the axle was to short to reinstall the wheel. Other
then buying a shifter kit is there any way to fix this?
I do not like to use a tensioner. My solution is to bend the stays apart a little bit. This was done by wedging apart with a wood block where the chain hits and force the ends where the axle goes back together with a length of allthread with two nuts on it. It bends the middle of the stays out about 1/8" which was enough to clear the chain in my case.